1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shell reports record profits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Are you really this dumb? You completely missed the point.

It doesn't matter if they find oil there. Let's say they do, and the price drops by a 50 cents a gallon -- so what?

The price is going to go up six months later and we're back where we started.

2. We would have to discover an unlimited amount of oil in Alaska for it to really make a difference.

3. And that's OK. Biking to work is simply not realistic for a lot of people. But it is possible for a lot of other people. If just 10 percent of those people rode to work every day, then there'd be a big change.

But, sigh, I doubt it will ever happen.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Grimace, I'll type slower so you can keep up.

Demand is at an all-time high. We have oil in our own country and territorial waters that is there for the taking. Be it ANWR, the Dakotas, Texas, the Gulf, etc.

If we can impact the demand it makes absolutely no sense not to. If you can't understand that then I guess I can't help you.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

6. Grimace

Grimace Guest

And my point, which you seem too fucking stupid to grasp, is that it doesn't matter. Prices might drop, but then they'll inch up again to where they are now. So what's the point?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Thanks for keeping this at an adult level. I really appreciate it.

Whether you think so or not, it does matter. It matters a great deal

If the demand isn't being met it's the height of stupidity not to attempt to meet it. We become that much more self-reliant and we buy time until research leads to a better solution than things like the idiotic biofuel idea that is destroying the food market.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Fuck Shell. Those fucking fuckers ruined my senior year of high school by laying off my dad. I hope they all choke on their profits.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

We're wasteful and, like so many things, we'd prefer to leave sacrifice up to the next person.

If we truly wanted to cut oil usage by 10 percent, we could do so in a week. But we'd much rather just hope the problem goes away by itself.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This country gets everything it deserves.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

We sure as hell didn't deserve the past 7 years.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sure we do. We "voted" Dubass into office twice.

Draft saved Draft deleted