1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sheep is done and so am I

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by copperpot, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

I've debated whether this is the best way to go about this, and while I'm not entirely sure, I feel strongly enough to go through with it.

I've never posted on here that much, but sj.com has been a pretty cool place for me both as a professional resource and as a way to build some personal relationships. There are two posters on here that I now count among my closest friends. I've had a lot of laughs, and I was moved to tears and a life-altering decision by one poster's death.

But today is my last day on sportsjournalists. I've been disheartened by the attitude Jeff has brought here, and I hit my breaking point after a couple of things he did recently. I found it deplorable when he banned Verse because Verse shared Jeff's PM. This isn't (or at least shouldn't be) a police state.

Similarly, when Jeff banned Boom, he wrote that many moderators didn't agree with him, but he did it anyway because he thought it was important for the long-term health of the community. Here's the thing: We have very different definitions of what a healthy community is. To Jeff, by his own admission, it's a place where he collects as many members and page views as he can because that translates to more money. To me, it's place where people rally around posters who are having a tough time, share job advice and have fun with stupid stuff like Sheep. I feel like, Jeff, this isn't YOUR community. I resent your acting like you're serving some kind of greater good with that decision when in the end it was about YOUR bottom line.

Even so, it wasn't until I heard what happened in the wake of a recent poster's death that I was sure I don't want to post any longer on a board where Jeff has the final say. I won't go into details but I found it disrespectful and disgusting.

I'll miss Sheep and especially Secret Santa. If anyone wants to take them over, be my guest. Amy's welcome to share my email address with anyone who might want it.

Thanks, all.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I wish you wouldn't go, but I understand your reasoning.

I got the PM as well, but never responded -- though I felt the banning of Boom, especially when not all of the admins were on board with it, is a bit much. Yeah, he pushes folks' buttons on here, but he's part of what has made this site great over the years I've posted here.

It just ain't the same without him, just as it ain't the same after a board favorite leaves.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

FWIW, I think this probably isn't the best way to go about this, copperpot, although I wish I knew details of what happened with regard to the recent death of a poster -- I'm guessing I know who you're referring to -- but it's certainly your decision to make as you see fit. You'll be missed.

As is Versatile, whose ban I didn't know about until after the fact and about whom I also don't know the details.

And, as will be Boom_70, who, as I told Jeff when he asked me, out of the blue, certainly had his detractors but should not have been banned permanently, in my opinion, as I don't think anyone should be, for anything other than an unwanted, unconsented, intentional/malicious outing. As you noted, however, he banned Boom, anyway.

I haven't even played Sheep, I haven't participated in Secret Santa, and I don't know the real-life identities of hardly anybody on here. Nonetheless, I know, understand and appreciate the value of this place, and you are right. It is about so much more than page views or member numbers, and the site loses a little bit of vitality with the loss of almost any poster.

Rest assured that that includes you.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, the board is the owner's. But the community is US.
    Longtime members get run off, there goes your community.
    Other members bolt; threads dry up. Hard to make money that way.

I suggested a penalty box instead.
    It would be timeouts as warranted.
    It could even be fun, in a penalty box way.

Baron Scicluna, JC and Vombatus like this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That's just awesome, another good poster leaves this joint while Rome burns. Says it all.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed following the Sheep threads.

copperpot, you're a good egg. I hope you reconsider. Your presence adds a great deal to the board.

I also exchanged PMs with Jeff after he made the decision to ban Boom. Asked him to reconsider. We all got the same answer, it seems.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I was unaware of the ban of Vers. I don't remember him as offensive or combative or anything that would warrant a banning. I told Jeff I completely disagreed with the banning of Boom. Apparently Jeff wants to own an Internet forum that completely sucks.

Sea Bass likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Like Write said, I don't do Sheep or Secret Santa, and I also advised Jeff that, while I don't agree with Boom on a number of things, that he also made me laugh an awful lot and that a permanent ban should only be used for the worst offenses, such as outings or actual harassment, like a ton of PMs, or something like that.

Copper, I don't know if we've had much interaction on here, but I wish you'd reconsider. While I'll sound like a Gannettoid saying this, the more voices this place has, the better.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

This just absolutely sucks. Please reconsider, Copperpot. You, a d a whole lot of others are/will be missed.

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Will the last person to leave SJ.com please turn out the lights?

Copperpot. . . . you will be missed. Although you didn't post much, thanks for making SJ.com a fun place to visit. I enjoyed playing Sheep and will miss it.

You are the next person on a long list to leave here.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Me neither. Wow.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Wait.

The section I put in bold..

Was Jeff asking members for their opinions before he banned Boom?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.