1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shedding a tear . . . my PlayStation 2's laser just conked out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

More than four years of joyous accomplishment with that grand lady as my vehicle.

Madden, Metal Gear, FIFA, Mega Man old school, Grand Theft Auto, Star Wars Battlefront, MVP baseball, NCAA football, EA Lord of the Rings games . . . I hardly knew ye. Or maybe I knew ye too well, and taxed the machine beyond its ability to continue feeding my addiction.

Now perhaps I might have to actually work.

(If anyone knows of a good course of action when the DVD laser conks, please let me know).

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're pretty much fucked, Vinz. Sorry.

Either shell out the $$$ for a new PS2, or do what I did and buy a 360. (It's worth it, if you have an HDTV.)

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

It's time for some next-gen baby!

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Is it just me, or does this reek of designed obsolescence?

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Is that a reference to me or the system?

Anyway, a friend used to say that Nintendo (the original Entertainment System) was "the biggest scam ever perpetrated on the public." His point was: if you had one for more than a year, you probably put in a game only to find the pink screen staring back at you. So, as a youngster unschooled in the ways of electronics, you listened to your buddies' suggestions. You blew on the cartridge, blew on the console's mechanism, and tried again. Failing that, you jiggled the cartridge while holding the reset button. Then, perhaps you could once again play Mega Man.

My wife's family still has a working Nintendo, lovingly preserved by her brother. And these old methods still work when Ninja Gaiden of The Legend of Zelda are feeling temperamental. But the fact remains that the system seemed to have a built-in conking date that was earlier than most consumers would have preferred.

And, of course, this gives me the excuse to purchase a PS3 just for the new Metal Gear. OR, and more likely, purchase a PS2 when the PS3 release drops the price. Maybe not to Dreamcast levels, but to a more palatable level.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I blew on many a NES cartridge to make it work again. Quote function waiting to happen.

But yes, that "repair" worked wonders. Man, I wish I had an original NES still.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

;D

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I have it. I love it...absolutely love it!

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Just for you, buckdub ...

[​IMG]

10. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

I kept on getting a "Insert System Formatting Disk" screen during the last days of my PS2. The weird thing was, it would still play DVD's and PS1 games but no PS2 games. I went to to one of those video games places where you could sell old games and they looked at me like I was speaking Danish. Same thing at Best Buy.

So I sacked it up and bought a new PS2.

11. Our PS2 is squeaking a hell of a lot. It's been doing that for a while now. Like some kind of wheel (maybe to the fan) is messed up. Anyone else have this? I'm just waiting for the thing to puke.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Is it like a grinding noise? Because if it's doing that, it's probably the CD itself. I remember I had the same problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted