1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shea Hillenbrand traded to Giants

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CradleRobber, Jul 22, 2006.

1. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1153518612481&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064

I'm a huge Shea Hillenbrand fan, as anyone at this year's outing will confirm. I've had him on my fantasy team for three years, and have grown to really love watching him play. Aside from the fact that I now face the huge internal conflict of being a die-hard Dodgers fan yet needing to keep Hillenbrand on my fantasy team this season and still wishing to root for him, will this be a good move for him? Obviously there were major problems between Shea and the management in Toronto, and it sounds like the Giants are opening him with welcome arms. He'll finally get to play everyday. Will he perform well in orange and black?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Outing alert: CradleRobber is Ralph Kiner's grandson. :D

3. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I won't go back and fix it, just because I funny it's think.

;D

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

(Man) Love is in the air.....

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Shea Hillenbrand and Barry Bonds in the same clubhouse. I'd buy tickets to see that.

6. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

ESPN is reporting this will set off a chain of moves that will send four more All-Stars to both the Red Sox and Yankees.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Please, dear God, let one of them be Derrick FUCKING Turnbow.....</ExtremelyBitterBrewersFanBoy>

8. Hillenbrand has not really been a second half player in his career.

After the all-star break his batting average drops by 23 points, his OBP by 26 points and his slugging by 41 points. Hillenbrand may be an upgrade at 1st but he's not an upgrade for the Giants over Pedro Feliz at 3rd. Accardo has an almost 4-1 K/BB ratio this year which is very good for a reliever. Plus the Blue Jays save about $2.5 million. Jettisoning Hillenbrand while strengthening the bullpen and saving money for a possible second half salary addition makes this a very good move by the Blue Jays.

Time will tell if the upgrade at 1st was worth the downgrade in the bullpen for the Giants. My guess is that this was just a treading water move by San Francisco.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah cause all those players the teams have promoted to replace their injured stars were All-Stars at other stops.

There are so many All-Star Game appearances by the likes of Melky Cabrera, Kevin Thompson, Kevin Reese, Nick Green, Jon Lester, Craig Hansen, Manny Delcarmen and Kyle Snyder, why, I can't even count that high.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think Jag was making a poke at the focus of ESPN's baseball coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted