1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She won the lottery and will probably die the next day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

The being looked down on one is laughable. Why would you care what some random person thinks?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do you understand message boards?

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I was referring to the story in the link.

Steve Granger won $900,000 in the West Virginia Lottery in September of 2005, and, after paying the taxes, "put most of it away for his and his wife's retirement," writes Oren Dorell in USA Today. But along with everyone knowing his business, everyone asking for investments, and everyone grabbing at him because he was suddenly considered "lucky," there are the lotto snobs, too. He once heard "someone say in an ugly tone, 'There go those lottery people,' as he and his wife passed by." Ouch.

That one. The last part talks about someone saying there goes those lottery people. What I meant was why should the lottery winner care what some random asshole says about him.

Get it now?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's a good thing that you quoted my post then.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The thing with this story is there's no guarantee that had she not let the old woman in line she would have still gotten the winning numbers. Not unless the tickets were already printed out, which the story didn't say as far as I saw.

If the clerk hits "quick pick" a second earlier or a second later, the computer probably spits out different numbers. Those machines are all tied to one main network.

It's really quite sad that the jackpot got so big and didn't get split about three ways.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So that explains that series of PMs from you.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In most states the legal age for playing the lottery is 18. It's 21 in a few states.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She's a 6! With about 6 zeroes.

9. Exactly. It's entirely randomized from the moment a transaction is entered. There's virtually no way the other person would have gotten the same numbers as the old lady.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Old lady?! That's ageist, dammit.

I would call her a seasoned citizen. An especially attractive one, if she happens to be reading this.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I aim to please, but my aim is poor.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I bet you're hell on urinals then.

Draft saved Draft deleted