1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"She was asking for it" defense actually works

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 25, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Can't see this idiot judge staying employed for much longer:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/rape-victim-inviting-so-no-jail--rape-victim-inviting-so-no-jail-116801578.html

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I just posted this elsewhere. How maddening is THIS? Chris Rock said of the Tea Party that he thought it signalled the end of racism because: "I actually like it, in the sense that — you got kids? Kids always act up the most before they go to sleep. And when I see the Tea Party and all this stuff, it actually feels like racism's almost over. Because this is the last — this is the act up before the sleep. They're going crazy. They're insane. You want to get rid of them — and the next thing you know, they're fucking knocked out. And that's what's going on in the country right now."

Wouldn't it be nice to think that he's right and that it applies to these attacks on women's rights too?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Tube tops are a sure giveway.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

She must have been wearing a DTF sticker.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He did not "get away with it" totally...

Are there more facts like what her injuries were other than the knee? Was a rape kit done?

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Judge must be a Daily Show viewer. He thought this wasn't "rape rape".

http://www.hulu.com/watch/212563/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-rape-victim-abortion-funding

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Here's a fact -- he's a convicted rapist.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

True. And the registered sex offender is not a small thing either.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Whatever his punishment, the judge's decision is outrageous and a slap in the face to decades of progress.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Nice to see that my home town gets itself in the news for more than being the murder capital and stolen car capital of Canada.

I am not one to throw the race card out there but I would not be suprised if it played a role in this.

Pure speculation but given that this happened in Thompson I am guessing that the victim was Aboriginal and the rapist was white.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I wish I was surprised. But there really are people out there who think that way, although most of them these days are smart enough to know to keep it quiet.

Draft saved Draft deleted