1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She was askin' for it!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Them poor boys...

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Uh, not that I want to defend rapists, who should all serve long prison sentences for this heinous thing, but where the eff were the parents anyway? I do think that is a relevant question. Reading the NY Times article, it sounds like the only people willing to talk about it were defenders of the rapist, and that the Times decided to go with the story anyway. Is that girl still in the household with the mom / dad that let her get gang-raped?

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don't care how old she was or how old she looked.

She was raped.

Period.

I've always said that if anything like this ever happened to any of my friends/relatives.....rest assured that we will find who did it.......and they will never find your body.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Willing to go to jail for murder because the daughter of a friend or second cousin was raped, are we?

Interesting.

Don't believe it for a second. But interesting.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She may have crummy parents, but what do you mean "let" her get gang-raped?

And this cry of "where are the parents?" is silly.

Lots of kids have really terrible, horrible parents. Is that really surprising?

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Sure, lots of kids have horrible parents. And they should be blamed when their 11 year old daughters are wandering around bad neighborhoods with no supervision, as the article implies.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure, blame them. I don't see how that absolves the rapists any.

What if the girl lived in a nice neighborhood and was allowed to wander with no supervision? Would they be good parents?

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I'm really not seeing your point, sorry. Of course it doesn't absolve the rapists. But, of course the parents should know the whereabouts of their child. I have no idea if more parental control could've prevented this event, but the apparent lack of supervision certainly didn't help this poor girl.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I just don't like the knee-jerk blame-the-parents reaction.

I don't think it is at all unusual for an 11-year-old to be out in whatever neighborhood he or she lives in for hours at a time without the parents knowing exactly where the kid is.

And to say that a parent "let" his or her child be raped is a terrible accusation. For all we know, the girl said she was with a friend and the parent had to work to make ends meet.

If we are going to blame the parents of this girl, shouldn't we blame the parents of the 18 rapists? Where does it end?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The parents are utterly irrelevant to this. A poor girl was gang-raped. No outfit or attitude ever justifies having this done to you. The focus should be on finding the assholes who did this.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Kathleen Passidomo needs to be recalled ASAP.

Draft saved Draft deleted