1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She throws a perfecto and loses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 28, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Perfect game? Yes.

Terribly imperfect rule? Yes, also.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Then it follows that the difference between a perfect game and not a perfect game was whether that pitch was a wild pitch or passed ball?

Crazy way to make a perfecto judgment.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think I've switched to team NOT a perfect game.
    She didn't retire every batter she faced. If she gave up a ground ball to the last hitter and the girl was thrown out at first, perfect game.
    Because she didn't retire that hitter, NO perfect game.

4. bueller

bueller Member

No. Pitcher gets the decision. "The respective pitchers of record receive the win and loss."
    Yes. It is goofy. The entire tiebreaker rule.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

She did retire that hitter ... The awarded-second runner scored on a wild pitch and then a throwing error. None of the hitters the pitcher faced made it to first. Hell, she struck out 23 of the 24 hitters she faced.

Her team was the home team ... This wasn't a walk-off.

6. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I'd say not a perfect game, but a no-hitter.
    Despite the tiebreaker rule putting the runner on second, she still scored on an error.
    You could lose and still have a perfect game if the winning team brought the runner around with a combination of steals or sacrifices, but not with an error. I think that's one reason why Ohio switched back to the traditional way for high school games after having the tiebreaker for a few seasons.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not sure why the error matters.

In a traditional game, you can drop 20 foul popups and still get a perfect game as long as none of those drops allows a batter to reach base.

In this case, no error allowed any runner to reach base. It just allowed her to advance one. Had the runner been awarded, say, FIRST base, and the error allowed her to reach third . . . she doesn't score. Thus, you're letting the perfect game decision depend on WHERE she was allowed to start. That's nuts.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

OK, then I'm back on Team Perfect Game.

doctorquant likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted