1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She throws a perfecto and loses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 28, 2015.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

According to MLB rules:

An official perfect game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game.

If we are basing it on the MLB version of a perfect game (replacing nine innings with seven), she didn't throw a perfect game because a batter reached base. The batter reached base because of weird rule, but a batter reached base nonetheless. The wild pitch shouldn't be a factor.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No batter reached base. The person at second base was never a batter.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"True perfection has to be imperfect. I know that that sounds foolish but it's true."

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Stop quoting Jason Whitlock.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nice, counselor.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

A perfect game is a team effort.

An error was made before the runner scored on the catcher's throw to third.

No perfect game.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'll withdraw.

8. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

According to the International Softball Federation, a perfect game is "a statistic credited to a pitcher when he/she completes a game and allows the opposing team no one reaching first base". I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they used that wording - "no one reaching first base" - so that the automatic runner on second wouldn't count against the pitcher. Since the runner scored without another player reaching first, I'd say it's a perfect game.

International Softball Federation - Development

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, you might even say the runner never "reached" second base so much as she appeared on second base.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

An error on the second baseman breaks up a perfect game. It's more than just a pitcher's accomplishment. I'll disagree with the softball federation on that one.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think in NCAA football, when there's a playoff both offenses should immediately see their "Yards Gained" total increased by 65 yards. After all, both offenses torched the other defense to the tune of a first-and-10 a mere 35 yards away from the end zone.

Big Circus and LongTimeListener like this.
  12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Suppose instead of a wild pitch, it had been a passed ball?

(Or: as too many baseball and softball coaches have written in their emails, "past ball.")

Draft saved Draft deleted