1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She placed a jar of B.S. in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Decadent, May 5, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then if you have more info, then post it.

2. Decadent

Decadent New Member

There were people -- some within Gannett, some outside -- who had the influence to change things.

3. Baron Scicluna

How so? Money? Threats?

4. Decadent

Decadent New Member

No to money. No to threats, although some people can be swayed more easily than others.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If there are more than 10 people at Gannett on the news side with more than 30 or 40 years I'd be shocked. And I'm sure corporate would want their names and their publisher's names for keeping them around.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hookers? Booze? Booze-fueled hookers wearing clown costumes?

7. Baron Scicluna

It'd be male hookers, as Hopkins is gay.

8. Decadent

Decadent New Member

There weren't threats. There were persuasive statements. Money might have been included, but I don't know that, so I say no to money, for now.

9. Baron Scicluna

I highly doubt persuasive statements would have been enough to have pushed him to stop.

10. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Never underestimate the power of persuasion.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Hopkins posts here, so he can explain if he feels like it.

I don't know him personally but I have friends who are friends and he explained, as he said on the Gannett blog, it wasn't making him much money in the amount of time it was consuming and Gannett has really become a broadcast company with some newspapers.

And, as a result, much of the company's doings weren't of interest to him anymore. Plus, it had become so much inside baseball, even Gannett people weren't caring much about who went jogging with who.

Draft saved Draft deleted