1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

She placed a jar of B.S. in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Decadent, May 5, 2014.

1. Decadent

Decadent New Member

http://www.nashvillescene.com/pitw/archives/2014/05/04/what-tennessean-publisher-laura-holingsworth-thinks-she-said-vs-what-she-really-said

Weaseling. Weak.

I think there used to be a blog that looked at what the company did, but that blogger stopped at the behest of the company (and maybe a few other people).

Also, this article is missing commas! What's happened to the comma?

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well, shit. I learned through that link that the newspaper for which I worked as M.E. at the age of 20 has been killed off by those rat finks at Gannett. Fuck.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That was Jim Hopkins' Gannett Blog. He had quit a couple of years back for a year or so, then brought it back. He just quit it again a few months back because he said the company no longer resembled the one he had worked for due to their branching out into other areas.

I don't think the Gannett execs stopped him from his blog; if anything, he was pretty defiant of them. I think he just wanted to do other things.

As far as the Tennessean goes, if I'm one of those older workers forced out, I'm talking to a lawyer to see if I have an age-discrimination suit after her remarks.

4. Decadent

Decadent New Member

That would be great if someone sued.

Hopkins. Right. Gannett told him to stop blogging. He stopped.

5. Decadent

Decadent New Member

That could be true, but when companies are using that reasoning as an excuse to dump older, higher-paid employees for younger workers who will be paid less, that's an issue.

6. Baron Scicluna

Is there some info out there where Hopkins stopped because Gannett told him to, or that he agreed to stop for a payment? I'm not aware that there was any. I thought he just stopped because he wanted to.

For years, Gannett execs got pissed off at him and I'm sure they're thrilled that he stopped. But he wasn't working for them, so he had no reason to stop just because they wanted him to.

7. Baron Scicluna

Or they do, but they're not given the opportunity to do so,or to learn those skills because the company wants to dump them.

Or the company constantly wastes time that could be spent training them for new skills on useless initiatives that have zero to do with the work that needs to get done and become forgotten about 6 months later.

8. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Gannett told him to stop blogging. He stopped.

9. Baron Scicluna

Link?

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm sure they wanted his blog gone shortly after he started it. And I'm also pretty sure if they were trying to get him to shut it down, he would have kept it going purely out of spite.

In any case, I think the fact that it lasted 5+ years is pretty good evidence that Gannett had no power over it and nothing to do with his decision to end it. Otherwise, it would have had a life measured in months, at most.

11. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Not everything is live on the Internet.

12. Decadent

Decadent New Member

There's more to the equation than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted