1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"She later took a Greyhound bus home."

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

"the irrepressible Girls Gone Wild founder Joe Francis"

Is that the right use of the word "irrepressible"? I thought that word meant someone who was fun-loving and couldn't be put down. Joe Francis has to be one of the worst human beings on earth. I know the LA Times can't write "the chunk of human sewerage who founded Girls Gone Wild"....but still. They make the guy sound like Fonzie.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It basically just means he can't be repressed, or restrained. And since he keeps doing what he does, I'd say it fits.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Isn't Joe Francis still in jail?
    Seems like he had some off the wall legal problem with bail that kept him in the pokey.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

A long Greyhound trip is a great way to make new friends.

6. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I thought the line about a dark cloud and irony was pretty good.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Reminds me of the old Emo Phillips line: "My mom always said there was one weirdo on a bus. I never saw him."

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

He's a brilliant business man though. He's made a lot of money off the chain.

9. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Yeah, it takes a real genius to figure out that men like to look at topless 18-21 year olds. Wow, what foresight.
    I still can't figure out how he hasn't been sued out of existance or shot by someone's boyfriend/father/brother. Finding young women who see themselves as having no value other than as sex objects, then getting them blind drunk and talking them into taking off their tops...that's not much of a way to earn a living. Matter of fact, that's pretty much on the same level as being a pimp.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'm not arguing that he's a worthless, degrading man for exploiting these women as sex objects, but he found a niche in the market and took advantage of it. He's business savvy, but not much else.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

It can't be long before, as Jules said in Pulp Fiction, he kinda develops a speech impediment.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Heroin dealers are business savvy too. Just giving the people what they want, I guess.

This LA Times profile of him by Claire Hoffman remains one of the best pieces of entertainment journalism I've read in years.

http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-gonewild32aug06,0,5620406.story

Draft saved Draft deleted