1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shawn From Barbados

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Mar 23, 2010.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

It's going to be worse in about 15 years with all the Neveahs and Skylers and T'Quells sprouting.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My best friend from college and I have known each other for over 20 years. I don't know how to pronounce her middle name. It's a normal name and when we first met, I pronounced it the normal way and got corrected in a not very nice way. A few years later, I swear I heard her say it the same way she had yelled at me for. I still don't know which way is right and it's way too late to ask.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You better watch your 'Seinfeld' fail accusations.
    I knew exactly what I was saying. George wanted to be called T-Bone. He ended up being called Koko.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Most of my friends didn't know my first name the first year we knew each other. Everyone calls me by my last name.
    I'm terrible with names. Forget them fairly quick. It was a pain in the ass when I was out at a bar and would meet a girl (in my single days) because I'd forget names literally five minutes after they told me. My trick to remember - I'd ask them to spell it and whatever way they spelled it, I'd say something like "Oh, Sarah with an H. You spell it the good way. I work at a paper and hate the people who don't put an H at the end of it." Putty in my hands.
    But I've been at the paper for almost three years and I still don't know most of the names of the production and ads people.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My old boss once RSVP'd for an event. Event included a guest. His secretary sent in his name & his wife's name.

She didn't know he was separated & already dating. His date (now his new wife) was not amused with her place card.

He was not amused with his secretary.

One of the guys at the diner/take out joint across from the old 4 World Trade Center called everyone Governor. "Hey Governor. What can I get you Governor?" I always liked that.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My grandfather looked like Jackie Gleason -- at least according to my aunts & uncles.

So, the first time my dad takes her home to Buffalo to meet his family, they're all calling him "Ralph" as in Ralph Kramden.

When she gets home, my mother fires off a note to my grandparents thanking them for a lovely weekend. She addresses it to, "Mr. & Mrs. Ralph YankeeFan".

My dad called her up after they got it and asked her, "what's my dad's name?" "Ralph," my mom answered.

But I guess my dad's whole family got a kick out of it.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agreed, says the aunt of LinZee, Emmah, and Bayley.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I always have trouble with remembering who is Carolyn and who is Caroline so I mumble through the second part hoping it could sound like either.

Draft saved Draft deleted