1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shawn From Barbados

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Mar 23, 2010.

1. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

For whatever reason, no matter how slowly I say my name, it gets butchered. I spell it out and it still gets butchered. I've spelled it out one letter at a time for people, and they read it back and it's still wrong.
    My old editor's brother made a running joke of it. Every time the brother called the office to talk to my boss, he'd give some weird permutation of my name to the receptionist. It never failed to ring back to my desk.
    The worst, though, was when I called an Arena League coach for a story on one of our local guys. I don't know if I mumbled when I left the message, or spoke too low since I was in the office, but he called back and asked for "Stoker" instead of "Bowker."
    Even my wife has had problems with people butchering our name since she changed it.
    Eventually, you just hope people are in the ballpark instead of looking like a A-hole by correcting everyone you meet.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

A few bosses ago, my manager was named Bill Keeler. Our receptionist for a period of time (over a year!) thought his name was Phil Keller. No one ever corrected her. Without ever actually discussing it, all the employees somehow got in on the joke.

Several times over the course of the day, we would hear over the intercom "Phil Keller, you have a phone call on line one" or whatever. This girl would also stick her head in his office on a daily basis and consistently call him "Phil" throughout the conversation. And he would happily respond, usually with a shit-eating grin on his face. Sometimes there was snickering while this was happening, sometimes there was uproarious laughter by the evesdropping employees. It even got to the point where everyone would call him "Phil" in meetings if she happened to be in attendance.

Maybe at a certain point this chick figured it out and didn't say anything. I don't know. Seems impossible it went on for so long. But I am friends with Bill to this day, and I have him listed in my cell phone as "Phil Keller."

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"It's not Hedy, it's Hedley"

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Unacceptable. Has to be "Moe." Followed by a "nyuk nyuk nyuk."

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I call all coaches coach. Never have to remember the names!

6. Moderator1

Oh the stories we can all tell.

My kids swam with some kids whose mom always called me "David." Which is my son's name. She was kind of like Buck's person. She'd grab both my hands warmly and give them a shake and say, "So how's David?" And I'd tell her.
    "Oh, he had a great day at school today. Got an A in history. Did well in science."
    Or
    "He's had a cold and isn't at his best."

She'd look at me weird and walk away. So one day I asked another parent why she'd always ask me about David and then get weird when I told her something. "She thinks YOU ARE DAVID" was the reply. Oh.

I gently told her a couple of days later and felt like an inch-tall piece of crap. She looked really hurt, like she'd committed some crime against nature.

Sometimes it is best to just go with the flow, provided you know the flow.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Friend of mine owns a restaurant/club where a lot of pro athletes hang out, sometimes they bring their wives, sometimes their girlfriends, etc.

He tells his staff 'Remember the wives names ONLY, pretend you never heard the other names, that way you can't ever make a mistake....better to call the girlfriend by the wrong name than screw up the wife's name.'

8. Moderator1

Or don't call any of them anything but ma'am.
    I worked in a Steak and Ale throughout high school and part of college. We had a very nice old guy regular who would bring his, um, professional woman in for lunch and sometimes dinner. Then they'd retire to the hotel next door. Very young, very pretty woman and the guy was a great tipper.
    So one day he brings his actual wife to dinner and the server says - sure enough - "so nice to see you. Your daughter is just lovely."
    The couple did not have a daughter.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I've made the mistake a time or two of calling my wife "Lisa" even though her name is "Julie."

She usually ends up singing that damn song.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You need in the bag a good one syllable name to use in a pinch - generic but familiar sounding. Bo , Ace , Stud , Coach all work pretty good. The guy feels flattered that you called him some cool sounding name and does not realize that you do not know his name.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I used to cross paths with a friend of a friend who always called me "Big Daddy." Eventually I asked my friend "is he making a fat joke?" My friend said, "no, he calls everybody 'Big Daddy.'"

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Bro" is my fallback. I can blank on names, they might come to me in a few minutes but if I gotta say something right away, you might be "bro."

Draft saved Draft deleted