1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shawn From Barbados

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Regular caller on the Mad Dog Live show- funny part is that when he calls he always calls Chris "Mad Dog" Russo -- "Mike"

MD - "Let's go to Shawn from Barbados who has a comment about NFL rule change. Shawn what do you have for us today?"

S - "Hey "MIKE " thanks ..............

He must think he is talking to Francesa. Even funnier - Mad Dog never corrects him. No turning back now.

I've been there - used to never correct if called wrong name. Now correct at first mistake .

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I worked at my last newspaper for seven years. There was a woman in advertising who called me Keith the entire time I worked there.
    At a certain point, it's too late to correct a person.
    We'd pass in the hall, and she would ask 'How's Keith today?'
    'Who's to say,' I'd respond, and she would laugh like I'd just cracked a really funny joke.

3. Boom_70

Exactly - you reach that point of no return and each time it happens problem compounds.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Buck, you should have told her to call you T-Bone.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Many people I coach track against fellow league and conference coaches, think my name is Tom, through some hilariously-confusing coaching changes.

I was a track coach at school A for three years. My boss retired and some of the staff, myself included, went to school B.

After accepting the gig at school b, Mustang's Brother (Tom) got hired to be the head coach at school A.

We looked alike. So when we would show up at league meets and regionals with different school colors on other coaches were confused as hell. Most of them called me Tom. Some of them thought we were the same person.

Making matters worse, at the end of the year, Tom got a full-time teaching gig elsewhere and left the school. The old coach came out of retirement and hired me back at school A. The next year the kids were confused as hell.

The coaches are still calling me Tom. I don't correct them. They get too confused.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Had this happen a year ago. Was in a conference room with a guy named Mike. Burly guy named Dave joined us and through a series of confusing conversations, becomes convinced I'm also named Mike. That was my name for the next six months. Could not figure out a way to correct him (my wife is appalled by this and simply asks, why didn't you correct him right away? Because I'm a coward and don't want him to feel stupid). Was in a meeting with a guy named Frank and Dave wandered in. Dave i talking to Frank about me but says, "Yeah, Mike's going to take them down." Frank gets a dumbfounded look on his face, "Mike? Who the hell's Mike?" But someone cracked a joke to distract Big Dave and he didn't catch on.

Finally, I simply wrote him a note on something he knew was mine and signed it with my real name. I'm sure he felt really stupid but he did call me by the right name the next time he saw me.

Similarly, I sent an email to a guy who I thought was named Patrick.Sent like three emails in succession to him, each one calling him Patrick. His name was Philip, which he pointed out when responding. He's now one of my good friends but it was totally humiliating. I sent like a 500-word note of explanation, which simply made the problem worse and made me look even dumber.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was afraid I end being called Koko.

I see my barber in his shop once a month and play poker with him a few times a year.
    I played cards with him this past Sunday. He called me Eric.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Mike,

That's awkward.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nothing wrong with being called Mike.

I had a pretty good source on my last big beat who thought/thinks my name was/is "Bruce." Don't know how he got that but whatever. Odd leaving messages and remembering to ask him to call Bruce.

We should all be named Fred. Then there'd no confusion.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Seinfeld reference FAIL. T-Bone was the the nickname George wanted.

You're thinking of the woman who mistakenly called Elaine "Suzie."

[​IMG]

In my own world, I just call every guy I meet "man," so I never have to learn anyone's name. It's a little trickier with women ...

11. Boom_70

I am going to start calling everyone "Bo" Hey Bo

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Honey.
    That was my father-in-law's advice to my son.

Draft saved Draft deleted