1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shawn Chacon, meet Mr. Knight and Mr. Sprewell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 26, 2008.

1. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Don't be. This shit is all over society.

Manager asks worker to come to his office? Why? Do I need my rep/lawyer?

Editor catches worker conducting personal issues on the phone on deadline and tells the worker to hang up and get back to work. Worker let's editor know he isn't happy to have his call interrupted by his pesky job.

Mom/Dad tells child to sit down to the table to eat. Kid says: Why should I? I don't feel like it. Continues to run around while the parent does nothing.

Teacher asks student to sit down in class so as not to disturb the other students. Student replies: Kiss my ass. Discipline is handed out by the teacher/school and the parents threaten the district.

People long ago stopped giving a shit about authority figures and it is nauseating.

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Amen!

Everyone's now "special", and no one, not a teacher, parent, boss is going to tell them what to do......and my favorite, "disrespect" them.

3. I find myself siding with Chacon on this. In no way do I excuse what Chacon did but Ed Wade does has a history of being a jerkface and just yelling at players. Ask Billy Wagner. Why should Chacon go into the office to hear he's being demoted and give Wade the opportunity to get in a few more verbal insults? "Say what you have to say here Ed," does not seem unreasonable to me. I don't believe Wade when he says that he did not raise his voice or curse. I don't.

Honestly - if my boss was firing me and giving me a "look in the mirror" lecture peppered in 4-letter words while he was doing it - then I could be in lock-up right now.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You knew Wade wasn't telling the truth when he said in his press conference that he got chest to chest with Chacon. He would have needed a chair.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Why should Chacon do as he's told? Because professional baseball player or not, the man signed a contract and is an employee with higher ups he has to answer to.

Ed Wade's bad attitude or not, Chacon should have done what he was told. Plain and simple. And as has been pointed out earlier, whether he goes into the office or not, he was still going to be sent down to Round Rock. Had he not assaulted Wade like he did but still refused to attend the meeting, the end result might have been the same.

And more and more details about other Chacon incidents in his short time in Houston are starting to emerge.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You know if Chacon had thought this thru he would have realized he wouldn't have taken such a huge PR hit if he had simply gone into Cooper's office as asked then kicked Wade's ass in there.

7. cranberry

Or he could have just hung him out a train window by his feet like Babe Ruth supposedly did to Miller Huggins.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

This neck-grab doesn't compare to Lenny Randle's bloody KO of 50-year old Frank Lucchesi in 1977.

9. cranberry

True. Lenny got a 30-game suspension and was traded to the Mets before the suspension was up. He was also brought up on charges and convicted of assault. Lucchesi ended up getting fired in the aftermath and sued Randle for $200,000 in a case that was later settled.

Randle played six more years in the states then played some more in Italy, i believe.

10. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I'm sorry, but by siding with Chacon you ARE exusing such behavior and it is that attitude that has allowed people (workers, students, etc.) to think they don't have to listen to their bosses/teachers if they don't feel like it.

If I read the stories correctly, the manager of the team asked the player into his office to discuss team business.

The player's response: Yawn. I'm not coming.

(Does Cooper have a history of being a jerk, too, so we can excuse Chacon for ignoring the first request?)

So Cooper, probably thinking the player wouldn't blow off the GM, asks Wade to get the player into his office for a chat.

The player, who has already ignored the request of his manager, now ignores the request of the GM.

Team officials did all they could to deal with the matter behind closed doors, so as not to "disrespect" the player in front of his teammates.

But the player decided, after ignoring requests/orders from two team officials, to physically assault the GM in the locker room.

They tried to treat the player like a professional and he acted like a spoiled little brat.

11. cranberry

Actually, there's two sides to the story in addition to the one that you just made up.

12. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Hey Cran:

Here is a link from USA Today, which appears to give both viewpoints.

Within, Wade says the player ignored several requests by the manager.

Then the GM tells the player he needs to come to the manager's office and the player resonds: "For what? I don't want to go to the office with you and Cooper."

I especially love Chacon's contention, noted near the end of his comments, that the manager and GM should have left him alone. ::)

So if these reports are accurate, what exactly did I fabricate?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/astros/2008-06-25-chacon-suspended_N.htm?csp=34

Draft saved Draft deleted