1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shawn Chacon, meet Mr. Knight and Mr. Sprewell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jun 26, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Because he knew they were going to ship his butt down to Round Rock?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

When I was a Guild rep we urged employees never to attend disciplinary meetings alone because it sets up a "he said, she said" situation. Our contract allowed for a Guild rep to be present at all such meetings.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I'm guessing nothing in the players' CBA includes language to that effect.

I'm going with the de-pantsing theory. :D

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Like they can't do that if he doesn't step into the office?

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

"Step into my office.

'Cause you're fuckin' fired!"

6. Smasher_Sloan

Solidarity, brother!

Who said this was a disciplinary meeting?

Until he grabbed Wade, his only misstep was bad pitching.

Every major sport I've covered, the manager/coach has routinely had closed door meetings with players. No big deal.

7. cranberry

I understand that and I agree. But you stated that you couldn't think of a "single, logical reason" NOT to go in to the meeting and that's a good reason, especially if he doesn't trust the person to tell the truth. He also might have been afraid he wasn't ready to control his anger and might do to Cooper privately what he ended up doing to Wade publicly.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And whether or not he went to Cooper's office his ass was being demoted to the bullpen anyway.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Put it to you this way: I've been covering baseball teams for a long time, covered some absolute loons on both the player and manager side, and I never heard of anyone refusing to enter the manager's office for a meeting.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

What, exactly, do you have to do for the players union NOT to jump to your defense?

"Based on the information we have to date, we believe the Astros' response violates the Basic Agreement," union general counsel Michael Weiner said. "If Shawn Chacon clears waivers and is released, we will pursue appropriate relief on his behalf."

Would have loved to see their spin if OJ was an active baseball player in June 1994.

11. cranberry

The contract provision is far more important than the individual case in these situations. Union can't allow club to violate a contract provision even if they agree a player's behavior was inappropriate.

12. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm amazed at how many people don't seem to get this.

Draft saved Draft deleted