1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaw admits he lied

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So was he the cat burglar in that police report? I still like domestic situation (leaping away from his lady's boyfriend/husband).

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Here's the most telling line:

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Lennay Kekua can swim after all!

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Shaw lied.
    Nobody died.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Yeah, agreed. But the lie also had him as some sort of hero. It takes a special kind of asshole to bask in that fake adulation.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I am curious as to why he has retained legal counsel. Makes me wonder if there's more forthcoming in this story.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm curious why he lied.

I mean, why? He's going to get in trouble if he gets injured in some, uh, less-heroic way?

9. LongTimeListener

His name came up in a police report of a second-floor break-in that night -- as a witness or "other," though police said he wasn't a suspect.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh, you're right. I'd forgotten that part. I'd bet that's even why he's retained legal counsel...

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that LTL would agree with Jeff Pearlman, that Shaw might be no angel, but hey, who is:

Just to be clear: a 20-year-old college kid lies (badly) about an injury ... and I'm supposed to be outraged? The things I did at 20 ...

Josh Shaw did something stupid. At 20, I stole signs, drove drunk, had sex sans condom, cheated on an exam. Let he who is without sin ...

https://twitter.com/jeffpearlman

12. LongTimeListener

Hmmmm, don't know why that shot was directed at me.

But if you think grabbing a couple of boxes of shitty cigars is the same as (what appears to be) a felony like burglary, OK, that's your prerogative to keep going with these bullshit connections that only exist in your mind. Just leave me the hell out of it. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted