1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaving woes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The hot lather, professional shave is fantastic, and I've been to several weddings at which the groomsmen all went out for shaves.
    Love it.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There's a place in Tyson's called The Grooming Lounge. I think a shave is $50, but I've heard the place is amazing. Lots of flat-screens, plenty of free beer, the works. I get razor burn pretty easily, though, so I'm not sure it's worth it. Might tear my face all up. I can do that for free. :)

That said, if I got a gift card for a birthday or something, I'd use it.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It definitely was an experience.

4. JackReacher

I always see that scene in Rounders and think, "Man. That'd be cool."

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Of course, the scene in Eastern Promises might make me think twice about doing it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

How bout the one in Dumb and Dumber? :)

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

You haven't lived until you have gone to a barber shop and had them do the shave with the razor. It is awesome, felt incredible the three or four times I have had it done.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is a shave and a haircut still six bits?

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I've shaved in the shower for as long as I can remember. I started out with a mirror, but haven't used one in God knows how long. I have my routine committed to muscle memory, and I can detect any missed spot with my hand. I pretty much won't shave any other way, unless I'm on one of those Army camping trips, during which I might HAVE to shave in the sink.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

11. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

FYI, read recently that you can sharpen disposable razor blades by rubbing them up -- i.e. not in a shaving direction, but backwards -- your forearm (the non-hairy underside) or against the heel of your palm. This way you don't go through razors/blades as fast.

Apparently, it works similarly to how old-school straight razors were sharpened on a length of leather. Tried it out and it made a duller razor feel a lot sharper so I've been doing it and haven't broken out a new razor in a few weeks.

It surprised me a bit that it actually worked, so it's worth a shot.

12. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Listen to the commentary track on the DVD and learn that Matt Damon's skin broke out after a severe allergic reaction to that shave....

Draft saved Draft deleted