1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaving question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Hey all,

I know this is probably a dumb topic to post, but for some reason I trust SJ's collective judgment. My electric razor went out after nearly 10 years of perfect service. I'm very happy it lasted so long, but does anybody have a recommendation for a good new one to purchase? I'd like to stay below $100, so again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Grow a beard.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Consumer Reports' "Best Buy" is the Remington MicroScreen 500 MS2-390, which goes for about $60. With an overall rating of 80, it is by far the highest-rated electric shaver under $100.

For about $35, you can get the Panasonic ProCurve Double Blade ES4026NC, which has an overall rating of 76.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Too itchy, or I totally would Zeke. I'm a clean-shaven kinda guy.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Try this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Thanks for the help! I found it for $47 on Amazon, so that's looking like it might be the winner.

Where's the plug? :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I've used about every brand of electric shaver and I always go back to a basic disposable razor. Electric razors don't shave close enough to suit me and have problems getting coverage in the neck.

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

If you have anything more than a wisp for whiskers, I'd advise avoiding the Remingtons.

I returned mine after one month of use because it lacked the ability to provide a clean shave -- always had to follow up with a Bic. The motor was weak and it failed to hold a charge.

My replacement is a Norelco, paid about $120, and so far it's much better.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Gilette Mach 3. Not the ultra, turbo, vibrating, 15-blade model that does your taxes. Just the Mach 3.

Works like a charm (with the shaving gel, of course).

But then again, I only really have to shave twice a week.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

This is exactly what I would have written -- minus a quote from Wilson Wilson, of course.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wilson Wilson?

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

When did I quote Wilson Wilson? No obscure philosphers... nothing about the mating habits of migratory nocturnal insects... what gives?

Draft saved Draft deleted