1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaving question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Hey all,

I know this is probably a dumb topic to post, but for some reason I trust SJ's collective judgment. My electric razor went out after nearly 10 years of perfect service. I'm very happy it lasted so long, but does anybody have a recommendation for a good new one to purchase? I'd like to stay below $100, so again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
  2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Grow a beard.
  3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Consumer Reports' "Best Buy" is the Remington MicroScreen 500 MS2-390, which goes for about $60. With an overall rating of 80, it is by far the highest-rated electric shaver under $100.

For about $35, you can get the Panasonic ProCurve Double Blade ES4026NC, which has an overall rating of 76.
  4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Too itchy, or I totally would Zeke. I'm a clean-shaven kinda guy.
  5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Try this:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Thanks for the help! I found it for $47 on Amazon, so that's looking like it might be the winner.

Where's the plug? :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

I've used about every brand of electric shaver and I always go back to a basic disposable razor. Electric razors don't shave close enough to suit me and have problems getting coverage in the neck.
  8. ifilus

ifilus Active Member

If you have anything more than a wisp for whiskers, I'd advise avoiding the Remingtons.

I returned mine after one month of use because it lacked the ability to provide a clean shave -- always had to follow up with a Bic. The motor was weak and it failed to hold a charge.

My replacement is a Norelco, paid about $120, and so far it's much better.
  9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Gilette Mach 3. Not the ultra, turbo, vibrating, 15-blade model that does your taxes. Just the Mach 3.

Works like a charm (with the shaving gel, of course).

But then again, I only really have to shave twice a week.
  10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

This is exactly what I would have written -- minus a quote from Wilson Wilson, of course.
  11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wilson Wilson?
  12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

When did I quote Wilson Wilson? No obscure philosphers... nothing about the mating habits of migratory nocturnal insects... what gives?
Draft saved Draft deleted