1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaun Rogers Arrested

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by amraeder, Apr 1, 2010.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/04/cleveland_browns_player_shaun.html

Apparently he was flying out of Cleveland Hopkins Airport and, umm, had a loaded gun in his bag. Bad idea.

I'll add: What they were saying on the radio, but I don't have a link that says it, is that Rogers claimed he simply forgot the gun was in his bag.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Jerry Jones just fined him $75,000.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, he thought it was a 5-pound smoked salami he brought along to munch on as a mid-flight snack.

4. amraeder

Nice!

Not sure why Shaun Rogers needs a gun. Guy is quite imposing. I can't imagine too many people would think it's a good idea to mess with him. Or, even share the sidewalk with the guy.

5. amraeder

On the football side, I guess this adds DT as yet another area of need for the Browns, now?

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

fat, armed and stupid is no way to get through a metal detector

7. amraeder

Here's a longer story on it from ESPN.com, FWIW. Charges haven't been filed yet. Arrested for carrying a concealed weapon, which can range from probation to 5 years in prison.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5048219

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bravo.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is what's known as The Barry Switzer Defense.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just in on AP:

"I'm truly remorseful, and I really can't put into words how unfortunate the incident is," Rogers said. "Again, I'm completely sorry."

blah blah blah blah yack yack yadda yadda

see my signature below

won't anyone think of the children?

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I don't really care about these kinds of stories. I can actually buy that he forgot it was in the bag. Tell me that you wouldn't have a gun if you played in the NFL today. I sure as hell would. It's not like he was gonna go hijack the plane.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

NO FREAKIN WAY.

It's an airplane and a gun and even monumentally stupid people think, "hey, they have security at airports.". You don't forget about that gun, you think the rules don't apply to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted