1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaughnessy: "We now have a bad connection"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, May 27, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So the way to solve limited access is to limit access even further?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Which is it?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But if you are one of the 10-20 your access is much greater.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer.

But in thinking about this more... I think the Billy Wagner dust-up a couple weeks ago was a real-world bubble up of this very issue.

Wagner is known to be media-friendly-- a go-to if you're desperate.

He was being interviewed by a horde on a night he didn't play, then said why the hell are you interviewing me.

You get the idea he's sick of being the go-to guy for a quote-desperate media. You get the feeling NONE of the other Mets talk much at all-- much ever.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well bully for the major media outlets. And that's not necessarily true. In fact, it's not even probably true. Instead of 30 reporters getting a tepid reception in the clubhouse, you'd have 10-20.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Well, then. If you're still a sports journalist, I'd like you to turn in your press card and get to work covering fatality accidents. Clearly you're not needed at the ballpark.

Sorry...reporters contribute a lot of stuff readers enjoy that go beyond gamers. And to claim that readers don't care about an athlete as a person...I call B.S.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

350 yards, splitting the fairway

8. Alley - I'm not a reporter. I have a family to feed.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not saying it is the solution, but with everyone bemoaning the current situation, I was just looking at what a "solution" might look like.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The proper thing would have been for Tom Werner's company to hire John Canzano, while letting Dan Shaugnessy's daughter go to work for Paul Allen's radio station.

[Absolute, glaring, ongoing conflicts of interest, undermining the ethics of those writers and their newspapers. No matter how Dan's daughter procured the gig.]

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

There is conflict of critical thought all over this thread.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I agree that if the daughter went to work for Werner, then Mr. Shaughnessy needs to make the disclosure, or even recuse himself from coverage.

But since the poster offers no evidence, and then contradicts himself, I'm not sure how much of this I'm prepared to believe. Does Mr. Shaughnessy's daughter work for Werner? In what capacity? Was she paid? Did she intern there one summer? Is this widely known? Were the editors aware of this, and sign off on it? Or not?

Just curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted