1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sharp writing in story on NBA executive coming out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, May 15, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not casting anyone in a bad light, I think you know I wasn't being cynical.

Let me say it this way: most married couples don't set out to adopt a baby with severe medical challenges. And most gay couples don't have the choice.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Adoption ain't no easy thing to do as a parent; trust me.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And none of that has anything to do with rich white people telling the world they are gay.

4. zagoshe

This.

I don't give a fuck if it is a "feature" story - remind me when newspapers got in the business of allowing the source of the story dictate the (1) tone and (2) secondary sources of the story.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What does that even mean? Would you feel better if they were poor white people? Or rich black people? Or even....REPUBLICANS??

6. zagoshe

My point is this is another self-absorbed rich white celebrity who thinks we give a fuck what he does in his private life.

More importantly - Welts secret wasn't a secret around the NBA and yet he wasn't beat up every day, so maybe, just maybe, this bogeyman about sports homophobic culture is way overstated.

And at the end of the day - these stories are so common these days, they've become mostly irrelevant and don't spark the kinds of discussions the people pushing this agenda continue to insist they will.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Story made our state's big paper yesterday...first thing I saw it..."Why does anyone care?" Especially in our Pacific Northwest market. ughh.

Next week will it be "LeBron proclaims himself hetero"?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did they run the Times story or did they do their own version of it?

9. printit

printit Member

You don't see the irony in writing this post when your avatar reads, "We are not the story. We are the storytellers."?

10. zagoshe

β€œIt bothers me when I hear these reporters and jocks get on TV and say: 'Oh, no guy can come out in a team sport. These guys would go crazy.' First of all, quit telling me what I think. I'd rather have a gay guy who can play than a straight guy who can't play.” -- Charles Barkley

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6563128

Like I said - perhaps the idea that there is this homophobic bogeyman waiting to beat up the gays in every locker room is just a bit overstated by those who have created a cottage industry of calling people homophobes.

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Not a bit. I was telling stories -- on a message board, mind you -- about people who are affected by stories about homophobia or gays in sports.

12. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

reran the Times version

Draft saved Draft deleted