1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sharon Pannozzo is out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KnuteRockne, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Which ballpark is that?

2. I refer to the working conditions, of course, not the ambiance.

3. I have no reason to believe that, away from baseball, she wasn't a good person. But at work she was cold, indifferent, easily agitated and--worst of all--completely unhelpful. For the past few years I've dreaded doing anything Cubs-related, because I knew I'd have to find a way to work AROUND the Cubs' PR staff. If you're doing a story DESPITE the media relations head, there's trouble.

Domo. Domo.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Welcome to Queens. And what a head it is. (sorry it was just too easy)

5. The Basement

The Basement Member

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-061206mitchell,1,4161254.column?coll=cs-columnists

The Cubs have been looking for a replacement for 25-year media-relations director Sharon Pannozzo, who submitted her resignation last month. Thus far four people have turned down offers to replace her, according to sources at the baseball's winter meetings.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

my man casty is the only person i'd trust when it comes to an opinion about pannazzo or jay horwitz. if you're out there, casty, please weigh in.

7. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Just for you Shockey. My main dealings with Ms. Pannazzo were at postseason events and I don't recall her being good or bad, just being there and handing out quote sheets and stats. My dealings with the Cubs go further back when Ned Colletti was the man and he was outstanding.

As for Jay, I have known the man for 30 years and consider him a friend. He can drive you crazy when you're in need of a story and he's under orders from one of his bosses not to let it out. He also can be quite helpful, though admittedly it comes more to beat reporters than with the reporters from sources that don't cover every day. When he makes you mad, just remember he has a lot of people he has to report to and he goes overboard in doing that, sometimes at the expense of the reporter. Overall, though, he has helped me many times, whether it is setting up an interview or providing a phone number. If he has done things to anger any of you, I'm sorry but I can only analyze the man from his dealings with me.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Be perfect job for Rick Cerone.

Word is that Hendry fired her just before he had angioplasty

On the gurney Sharon took his hand and wished him a teary good luck.

Hendry squeezed her hand and replied, Sharon you were with me when the cork came out of Sammy's bat.

You were with me when Bartman knocked the ball out of Alou's hand.

You were with me when I hired Dusty

Come to think of it, your bad luck, get the fuck out of here.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks, casty.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Boom, when you lift from Esquire, you need to attribute to Esquire.

I've got the perfect candidate to replace Sharon: The chick from My Boys.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

actually heard original from Randy Johnson - did not realize it appeared in "Esquire"

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was in the "Funny Joke from a Beautiful Woman" a few months back. I think it was kristen Chenoweth, but I could be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted