1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shark Tank (The Awesomeness that is . . . .)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Anyone else watch this show?

The "Sharks" are five people: an Internet millionaire, a real estate magnate, an angry bald dude, the guy who gave the world FUBU (CooL! I get to spend a bunch of money on non-authentic jerseys! Whoo!!), and an infomercial guru. People appear before them pitching potential investment opportunities in their companies, and get grilled.

It's like a super edition of that Inventors show ABC used to have.

Great entertainment.

2. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

It is stolen from BBC's Dragon's Den down to the last detail (may be produced by same folks, I don't know).
    The Den, which also airs new episodes on Tuesday night, has been on for a few years and is great. I love watching this type of stuff just to see what goofball contraptions/schemes people think they can sell.
    The BBC version is better, I think, and does not seem as "made for TV" as this one. Sometimes the comments and backstabbing the sharks do seems very much just for the camera. But I can't get enough of this stuff so I watch both.
    Check out the BBC America version, Piotr. I think you will like it.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is interesting, some of the ideas aren't bad, just misguided. I liked adjustable push-up machine some guy was pushing that would make push-ups easier.
    The attitude of the shark's is pretty easy - they don't care if a product is good - they just want to know how to sell it. Honestly, I don't know if I'd want to do business with any of them though. You spend five years or more developing a business or product and suddenly it's "deal or no deal" - screw that.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first show where they had a guy (I think a MIT grad) who wanted to market a cell phone that was implanted in your head. That was gold.

It's a great show. They do throw a few complete morons in there, which frustrates me, but some of the ideas are really good.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The Canadian version, also called Dragon's Den is very good.

Does not seem as slick and is a little more in depth than Shark Tank.

Draft saved Draft deleted