1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sharing copy between sister papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gene Parmesan, Aug 8, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It just takes one call from one editor the other. You may not be in a position to get them to send stories, but your boss, or his boss will.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'll bet that has a lovely aroma in summer.

3. redsox99

redsox99 Member

We use an FTP site and share content with not only our sister papers, but also other smaller dailies that pay a small fee to use our content. We also e-mail out the content and a sports budget for the week. I try and send out a note to the subscribers when the budget changes or a new story pops up, but often I'm chasing 19 other things and forget now that my staff is half the size it was and I'm out covering a 12-year-old regional tournament. Sorry, kinda veered off there. Anyway, the FTP site works well for us.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Our company uses a website that lists the stories that each of our 14-15 papers have posted to the web...we can open any relevant crossover stories this way, but still have to send out e-mail requests for any photos...it works well as long as your people are checking the list on a regular basis...I know it's saved me some extra hours here and there.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Then you just start pouring the in the AP copy by the bucketload. Anybody has a problem with it, tell them you would happily use the in-family copy, if it was ever posted online.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh, I did, trust me. Only problem was that the paper didn't have AP photos at the time. I'm sure folks in the Panhandle still wonder why we couldn't ever have art from the Bucs, Gators or Noles, but were practically a clearinghouse for Wake Forest photos.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, as the classic movie line goes, "what do you want me to do, shit a miracle?"

You can only use the photos you have.

If the only photos you have are Wake Forest photos, use them, and USE THEM BIG, and when readers bitch, send them straight to the publisher. Tell Mr. Publisher, "I'd love nothing better to use UF or FSU or Bucs photos, but our 'sister papers' don't see fit to post any of that stuff on line, so I have to use what we've got."

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

You might look at a website called box.com. There's some similar ones out there, but a couple of us at our shop have accounts, in the rare cases where a stadium has a web filter and blocks email access and out website that has our ftp access.
    We mainly use box for word documents, but you can upload and download pretty much any type of file. you just have to watch your storage and file sizes.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh, anything I did there (and in retrospect it wasn't much) was a grand improvement. Before I came, they hadn't had a sports editor in months. The section was the responsibility of the three spinster widow types from news, who would grab the first thing that popped up from the wire and go with it, AP hed intact. The day I went to interview, one of the front-page stories was "Blue Jays 8, Orioles 1."

Draft saved Draft deleted