1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sharing copy between sister papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gene Parmesan, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

In these times, it's a tad difficult to ask every paper in a chain to go out of their way to share copy.

Does anyone use FTP sites or something of the ilk to share their copy/photos between sister papers? Any suggestions?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We use a password-protected Web site to post copy and photos. Not every paper in the chain uses it, though.

3. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Any chance you can PM me some more info on that site/program? Looking to shore up some inefficiencies by the time FBC kicks off.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I suppose as a bargain-basement measure, you could launch a Facebook page, and post copy and photos there, and only "friend" the people you want to access it. (I THINK you can post art at a usable resolution; I've never tried it.) The IT gurus would probably freak out at the idea of using FB as a copy-sharing vehicle; if your group has a half-competent IT department, it should be a matter of about 15 minutes to set up a common page to share material.

At our joint, they have a web site inside the company upon which everyone is SUPPOSED to post material of any interest to other papers in the chain. Every few months, a new corporate VP of editorial content arrives and throws a huge fit demanding that everyone post budgets every day, and following up with prompt posting of copy and art as budgeted. This usually lasts about three weeks, and then 85% of everyone forgets about it. After that, papers who need stuff from each other just e-mail it.

If there is going to be a true program of copy sharing between papers, the high honchos have to insist on it.

5. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

A lot of them insist on things like this now.

The problem is there is no punitive action for failing to follow through with a plan that could work for everyone.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Make it routine to send daily budgets between papers. If you need copy or a photo send an e-mail. It's cheap and easy.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Gene,

As Starman said, it's simple for the IT staff to set something up. My chain's is simple. You really just plug in the blanks on a form and uploading photos is the same principle. Someone in corporate should get the ball running and you could have something up in a week.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's easy to say make it a routine or update the Web continually, but a lot of us aren't in the position to tell others what to do. That's more of an organizational problem that can't be fixed by those on the bottom of the chain.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

We use an FTP site and, when it works, it's awesome. Problem is, we don't have an IT department so much as one guy who occasionally fixes things if you ask him 42 times so it goes down more than an actress in LA looking for her big break.

10. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Not only that, but it's not so easy to just ask for something through email. I mean, I don't necessarily know every story that our sister papers write, so I pretty much have to rely on someone at the other papers saying "hey, one of our sister papers might be interested in this..."

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One common problem also is that SOME staffers (not all or even most) at larger papers, with larger coverage areas and (in some cases pro/college beats) get huffy because the volume of material can be (and often is) lopsided -- they can end up supplying considerably more material than they receive.

Too bad. That's the way it is when you work at the Big Flagship Paper. You're probably making a hell of a lot more money than the guy running the one-man desk in Rectal Grunt, Alabama, too.

Most of the people at the Bigtime Bugle can do a fine job in posting budgets, copy, etc etc, but all it takes is a couple people on the wrong nights taking the "what's in it for me" attitude to derail the whole thing.

Once again, the grand poohbahs up the corporate food chain have to put their foot down to put a hammer on this kind of stuff.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When I worked for Media General, there was a big corporate directive for everybody to share their stuff on the internal Web site. For sports, Richmond and Winston Salem provided plenty of stuff. Tampa blew it off. Naturally I worked at a paper in Florida.

Draft saved Draft deleted