1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sharapova has got some nerve

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

By GENNADY FYDOROV, Reuters
    Posted: 2008-06-25 14:17:31
    MOSCOW (June 25) - Officials have rejected Maria Sharapova's request to carry the Russian flag at the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony.

"She wanted to be a flag-bearer (on August 8) but I advised against it," Russian tennis chief Shamil Tarpishchev told reporters on Wednesday.

"I don't want her to spend three or four hours in hot weather waiting to march in the opening ceremony. We want her to be fresh, not tired, during her matches."

World number two Sharapova has decided against living in the athletes village during the Games.

"She said she didn't want to stay in the Olympic village because it's very noisy there and she needed plenty of rest between matches," said Tarpishchev.

----------

If you are gonna be the flag-bearer, you sure as fuck had better be staying with your teammates. Christ.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Almost every professional athlete complains about having to stay in the Village. If she can afford to stay elsewhere why shouldn't she?

It would be one thing if she played a team sport, but she doesn't.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If she plays in this outfit she can stay anywhere she wants.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Teammates, Simon? Seriously?

Maria Sharapova has as much connection with some Russian powerlifter named Olga as I do.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

None of this should even be the issue.

She should not carry the flag . . . because she has absolutely nothing to do with the country. Her Fed Cup "teammates" do not even consider her Russian.

There are many elite players --- who still actually call the country home --- who should carry the flag.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Maybe instead she can carry the flag for the community of Bradenton, Fla., seeing as it's where she grew up.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That was my thought, too. It's admirable that she wants to represent her home country, but I'm sure there's a good Russian athlete who actually lives in Russia that deserves the honor more.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You carry the flag, you should stay in the village.

End of story.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Hmmm... guess we can lock this one then.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Didn't Safina call her a "paper Russian" a few years back (might have been another player). I remember that it didn't sound that bad in translation, but is apparently quite the insult if you're Russian.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Let Dementieva carry it.

She lives in Moscow and actually likes her country.

As long as she doesn't have to serve it.

12. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Maybe Becky Harmon can tote it.

Draft saved Draft deleted