1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaq vs.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Aug 19, 2009.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So, anyone watch this?

I just caught it off the DVR. You know, I hate to admit this but...this show was actually kind of awesome.

I've never been a big Shaq fan (I'm an Orlando Magic fan) but over the past few years he's grown on me. This show, which I expected to be awful, was actually pretty fun.

I liked the trash talking between Shaq and Big Ben and loved seeing Shaq training like an NFL athlete.

Anyone else see this? Who else would you like to see Shaq go up against?

Personally, I'd love to see him play nine holes against Tiger Woods, try to outshoot Sidney Crosby, race Dale Earnhardt Jr, and try to break Rafael Nadal's serve.

Either way, this is a good summer show. And by good, I mean, not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

2. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

I'm a member at the swim club where Michael Phelps grew up training, which he and his coach bought last year. Their long-term plan is to remake it as the top training facility for U.S. swimmers, but for now it's still the slightly rundown neighborhood pool it's always been.

Got an email yesterday inviting all members to come on Sunday to watch the taping of a "Shaq vs." episode, where the big man swims vs. Phelps. I'm not going, but it sounds like it could make entertaining TV.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Three people I know say this show is great, which I find stunning, but I might have to check it out. Too bad it's on opposite Big Brother.

4. I get a feeling that the show is only going to be as entertaining as the guy who Shaq is going up against. Shaq is/was/will be very entertaining. Ben was pretty awesome, trading barbs back and forth with him. Hell, Ben even beat him in basketball. OK, Horse, but whatever. Michael Phelps, on the other hand . . . well, commercials involving him were only good when they realized he would only work out if he remained silent. So I would not expect big things out of the Phelps episode.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've dealt with Shaq a handful of times and I always really liked him. I've been told that covering him could be a nightmare because it can be really hard to tell when he's joking and when he's serious and more than once he's made some good journalists look really stupid for taking him at face value when he was talking out of his ass.

The guy also probably does more charity work than the rest of the NBA combined.

6. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Shaq got jobbed on his last pass. Clear pass interference that wasn't called, leading to the interception.

That is all.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Blatant ripoff:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. hachat11

hachat11 Member

I enjoyed it, though an hour was too long. It dragged at points and could have easily been done in 30 minutes.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I was shocked to find myself enjoying it. I've gotten totally sick of Shaq's act the last few years, but he was fun to watch on this.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So you're one of the two or three other people who saw those. (Thank you, YouTube. I'd have hated to waste money on the Thor one. Wolverine wasn't bad, though).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd like to see him stand in the batter's box against (insert flamethrowing pitcher here).

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So it was you, me and TSP. Fantastic.
    It was a whole dollar* at redbox, so I didn't feel bad about it later.

* With tax it was $1.08.

Draft saved Draft deleted