1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SHAQ TWEETS, "I'M RETIRING"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

""I won't be devalued," Shaq said. "Never, ever devalued. I will never take less than what I am worth.

"I'm the one that's bringing the players in anyway. And I can bring in players for no money. I've done that before. I've been the general manager of this team for the last two years.

"So I don't want to hear that crap about blah-blah-blah, blah-blah-blah. Because I'm the one who's bringing them in. I'm the one making the phone calls."

"Shaquille O'Neal once famously yelled out to Lakers owner Jerry Buss to "pay me" in the middle of a preseason game."

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/19893/thoughts-on-shaq-retiring

Oh yeah, he's a great guy. Class act.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with this. The knock on him from curmudgeons will always be that he wasn't in shape and didn't play full seasons, but he was a god damn huge human being. I sometimes feel like you don't want to tinker if it's working, and since he was a monster for Orlando, L.A. and portions of his Heat years, why screw with a good thing? Even with all of his "weaknesses," he was one of top five to top 10 centers of all-time, and his strengths were so strong that it was nearly impossible to find someone to guard him.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

He recruited them Payton and Karl Malone; that worked out pretty well. Better than Mitch Kupchak throwing millions at Steve Blake, Devean George and other stiffs.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I remember watching him at LSU, dunking all over the place as a freshman, Vitale shrieking like a lunatic "HE'S ONLY 18 YEARS OLD!!" over and over, and realizing that he was only a year older than me.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Finished his career 1-22 on 3PFGs.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Free throws? Sorry, misread.

Big lug. Hilarious one-liner after next and enjoyed being in the SoCal market working when he was in his prime. His reaction on the alley-oop to all but clinch Game 7 of the West finals after being down 15 early in the fourth was tremendous. 15-1 in the playoffs in 2001. Dressing up as Santa every Christmas Eve in South Central and giving out gifts. His many times being sheriff's deputy in whatever county he was living in. He had fun everywhere he went.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suspect "curmudgeon" translates as "actually watched him play" during that era.

He went from "a god damn huge human being" to "God, is he FAT!" The human body isn't really designed to be 7'3", which is why guys that size always have some variation of toe/foot/ankle/knee issues. He exacerbated that horribly later in his career by being a big fat load. Dude was embarrassing in his last days with the Lakers. He got in shape when he went to Miami because he was pissed and had something to prove. He proved it... and then got fat again.

I generally like Shaq, and at his best he was an enormously dominating player (with more skill than he generally gets credit for). He seems like a genuinely very good guy off the court, away from basketball. But it's absolutely fair to point out that he pissed away big chunks of his career by turning into a fatass.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

YOU WILL RESPECT HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH HOOPZ!

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If he doesn't make some serious effort to lose some of that weight now that he's retired, he might not make it to 50. And now that he's not playing, it's going to be that much more difficult for him to lose weight.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He didn't make that effort when money, championships, fame and his legacy as a basketball player were on the line. What on Earth makes you think he's going to start now?

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

YouTube the one. It's hilarious. I remember it well.

Draft saved Draft deleted