1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaq rap disses Kobe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by suburbia, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Possibly.

But I'll take six rings, six MVPs, 19 All-Stars, two Finals MVPs and five All-Defensive first team awards over four, one, 14, three and zero.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

In fairness, who were Kareem's peers during his prime, defensively? In Shaq's prime, he went up against Olajuwon and Mutombo, two of the greatest defensive centers ever.

3. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

But who would you rather have on your team? Shaq or Kareem?

And I think you'd be fooling yourself to think that Shaq wasn't the best player in the league more than once. I know he only won one MVP, but the guy should have won far more than that.

Shaq didn't do everything he could have, certainly (namely, the free throw shooting), and he never took his conditioning seriously, but he was a better player than Kareem, particularly at the prime of their careers.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I am downloading this video as we speak.

5. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

The actual freestyling is awful. But the line "Kobe, how's my ass taste?" is priceless.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

But Kareem at 38 averaged 30 points, 11 boards, six assists and two blocks in the 1985 NBA Finals, earning MVP. I'm not saying I'd definitely take Kareem over Shaq in their primes, but considering those were Kareem's numbers when he was well past his prime, it's quite a stretch to say Shaq's a far superior player. Shaq had the power, but Kareem literally had a shot that was unstoppable and he could probably still hit the hook for 10 points a game if he never had to cross the court for defense.

7. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

I ask again: Who would you rather have on your team?

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have a problem saying Kareem. If Shaq was on the Showtime teams, would they have won more than five titles? Shaq has advantages, so does Kareem, namely you could go to him with less than two minutes to go in a game. That's gotta be a strike against Shaq on all-time lists, the fact you literally could not throw the ball to him in the closing seconds for fear he'd just get hacked and brick a couple of free throws.

9. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

It's very close, in my opinion. Kareem was at his best in his early Bucks days and in the late 70s as a Laker, so our memories of him in his later days make him seem less dominant.

I'd probably take the '71-'72 Kareem, who averaged 34.8 points and 16.6 rebounds per game, over Shaq. Kareem was also a better defender and didn't have the free throw shooting Achilles heel that Shaq had.

But it's damn close. During Shaq's peak ('97-'03) he was one of the best ever. Easily a top 10 player all-time. (Same with Kareem, which is why it's a tough comparison to make.)

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'll take Shaq over Kareem based on that Kobe rap alone. Some great one-liners there.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Here's why I love this place.

A serious thread will get jacked to all kinds of stupid shit inside of one page.
    Likewise, you guys have turned a thread about Kobe tossing Shaq's salad into a serious debate of Shaq vs. Kareem.

I love it.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hope he hears it in every road arena. Hell I'd be tempted to buy a courtside ticket to see the Nets and just yell it all night long. Along with "No Means No."

Draft saved Draft deleted