1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaq is a Cleveland Cavalier

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 25, 2009.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well said, Stoney.

2. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

+1. That's just another excuse these so-called experts are using to make this sound like a bad deal, when in almost every way possible, it's a great deal.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I do think it's a no brainer, but I do worry how the Cavs are going to defend the pick and roll. Worth the risk in my opinion.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If the Cavs use an exception on Wallace it may help.

5. prezclinton

They'll be no better or worse at it than last year, the difference is they have a guy who won't be abused in the post and can get opposing centers into foul trouble along with LeBron. The pick and roll killed them last year because they had to keep showing Z because he coudn't stay on Howard when he rolled. Shaq can stay back and stop the drive now better than they trusted Z to do. I think it's also good that they can give different looks with different 7-footers on defense.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Like I said, I think it's a good deal for the Cavs, but Shaq can't defend the pick and roll, at all, but he can do a lot of other things to help Lebron and the Cavs. If it doesn't work out, so be it, the Cavs will have a ton of money to sign Lebron and another top level free agent in 2010.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

Pick-and-roll issues are legit, BUT one thing Shaq does that no one else can is play Howard straight up.
    No double teams won't leave shooters open on the quick ball reversal.
    In other words, half of Orlando's attack against the Cavaliers has been negated.
    The other half? Still very much an issue, obviously. But more moves are coming.
    And adding Carter, but losing The Bearded One is not a positive for Orlando. Once the ball gets to Vince, it goes nowhere else.

8. prezclinton

I agree, Colton. Total panic trade. If Orlando doesn't bring Gortat back, they'll have lost four key guys from last year nd gained a streak shooter who's one of the worst teammates in the NBA and Ryan Anderson. And the funniest part is that their GM said Carter was "fool's gold" just two years ago.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-sportsadelson-magic-27062709jun27,0,72450.column

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

If the Cavs win the championship next year......will everyone start asking "Can Lebron win it without Shaq?"

10. prezclinton

H
    Hopefully. That will drive him to stay in Cleveland. Though, Shaq's impact would be far less on the Cavs than it was on the Lakers. Fact is, no one wins a championship without at least one All star sidekick in the NBA these days.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

As a long-suffering Cleveland fan, I feel the need to state the obvious: God hates Cleveland. The only thing this trade ensures, I suspect, is that LeBron will suffer a season-ending injury in training camp. And, once again, North Coasters will be left to desperately ponder "what if." :(

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Killick: Feel your pain, buddy... born in '64, I'm there, too.

All we can do is keep the faith. What choice do we have?

Be strong, my friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted