1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaq is a Cleveland Cavalier

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 25, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Heads up to all you on deadline:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/06/cavs_reportedly_reach_deal_for.html

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

So why didn't they do this at the trade deadline again? Can't wait to hear Shaq say LeBron's the best player he's ever played with, following similar pronouncements about Penny, Kobe, Wade, Nash. And where will LeBron rank in Shaq's famous Corleone analogy? Kobe was Sonny, Wade was Michael, Penny was Fredo...LeBron's the Andy Garcia character? Luca Brasi?

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The Cavs dearly needed to upgrade their big man spots, and they certainly did so today. But, I must say, the biggest problem I saw in those spots against the Magic was that they were playing big men (Wallace, Illgauskas, Smith, etc.) who were way too old and slow-footed to stay with young legs like Howard and Lewis. Shaq should certainly be an improvement, but he sure ain't a remedy for the old and slow-footed problem.

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Shaq might not have the foot speed, but he won't get physically abused in the post by guys like Big Z did against Dwight Howard in the ECF. If the Cavs don't have to double Howard in the post, it changes a ton of other things in their defense.

And I get the feeling they aren't done dealing yet this summer, either.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

O'Neal never was a good fit in Phoenix. Not surprised he was traded somewhere.

So what happens to Ilguskas now?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

They unloaded useless Ben Wallace and got a still serviceable at worst Shaq. Nothing bad about that swap for the Cavs.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't know. I can't picture Shaq taking well to being the second-biggest star in the room.

I have a feeling this will end up being one of those moves that looked really good but tanked terribly...you know, like everything the Mets did following the 2001 season.

8. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

The Cavs did right in that they got Shaq for practically nothing, but I just don't see this working out long term.

The Cavs were finally beginning to unleash somewhat of a running game last season. Now they're going to have to look to set up Shaq often. The bottom line is the man needs his touches, will not take a backseat role and therefore the Cavs will have to adjust to him, not vice versa.

Therefore, the offense slows down and defenses are allowed to set and adjust accordingly. The most frightening aspect of the Cavs is LeBron coming down on a fast break with shooters on the wings and his eyes on the rim. Now we'll see more and more of LeBron making a post entry pass and standing outside because I doubt he'll cut much as to not clog the lane.

I've been wrong before but this was a desperate move that isn't necessarily in Cleveland's best interest. LeBron needed a No. 2 athletic, scoring wing/guard to run the lane and look to attack the rim and keep up with him. He didn't need someone to bog down the offense and make things easier for opponents.

9. panic move after the choke job last season? mmm hmm

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Has a great player ever played for more teams than Shaq?

Magic, Lakers, Heat, Suns, Cavs...

Am I missing any?

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm a little dizzy after thinking about what I'm about to type....

Good point.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Good move in that they upgrade at one of their frontcourt positions: Shaq > Wallace + Varejo.

Will be interesting to see if they keep Z, and if they do how much they might play Shaq and Z at the same time. Shaq can be the low post option that Z really isn't. And they really need to keep Ilgauskas, because Shaq can't go 35 minutes a night anymore.

Still doesn't seem like this will put them over the top. Shaq's been on a steady decline for a couple years now to where he's fallen closer to being an average NBA player than one of the elite. Looks like they got the wrong Sun: the one who could have put them over the top is Amare.

Draft saved Draft deleted