1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shaq debut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rube, Feb 21, 2008.

1. rube

rube Active Member

Suns score 124 with him (surprise maybe) but let up 130 ... different team, same problems? I know it was only his first game ... but ... who cares ... let's discuss.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The Suns are going to make it to the playoffs. Adapting Shaq into the offense and defense is going to take a little time, as it does with most things. I'd wait to see what's different 10 games from now, and how the team evolves over that time.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Extremely entertaining game. Kobe was amazing, and Gasol had a very good game (what was with Walton going nuts on Gasol and saying he can't perform under pressure at halftime? Oh yeah, it's Bill). Shaq looked better than I expected, but still don't see the Suns being able to handle the Lakers if they meet in the playoffs, especially if Bynum comes back healthy.

4. rube

rube Active Member

I will say this, and keep in mind I've pretty much been a part of the group that thinks Shaq won't push them over the top, Shaq opened up a lot of easy lanes and reb opportunities for Amare (not like he really needs them) but his overall offensive savvy-type play seemed to fit in.
    Defense however is a totally different story. He added literally nothing to them defensively (I don't think he took anything away, but still nothing productive), and at the end of the day, wasn't his defensive presence both with rebounding and defending the rim the real reason why Kerr made the move?

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd think it takes more than 10 games to develop enough chemistry with a new team and familiarity with everything a team wants to do.

Granted, basketball isn't like sports such as football where there's such a complex playbook that it forces you to take a year to learn it. However, even if all NBA teams all still run 10-15 of the same basic plays, it takes time to adjust to everything a coach and team want to do. And it takes the coach time to figure out how someone with a different skill set can bring to his team.

I'd be interested to see how Shaq and the Suns adapt to each other after they've had a full training camp together.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Found how they are going to incorporate Shaq in the lineup from this point on in the season. Right out of Phoenix's playbook.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. rube

rube Active Member

He did make one big impact that can't be ignored, that being the baseball sized knot he put into Raja Bell's head. When he said he'd make him the best 3-pointer shooter in the league, I don't think he meant he'd be doing it by giving him an Apollo Creed shot to the back of his noggin.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sure, but after 10 games at least you'll see where they're going and adapting to each other, especially on the defensive end. It may not be the finished product, but it'll give a much better vision of what this team's going to be capable of in the playoffs.

9. rube

rube Active Member

I think that when it's all said and done, the only thing that's really going to matter is if he can hold up physically. I don't see any problems with him fitting in philosophically and as far as getting the feel for his teammates goes. But will the guy who's really been a shell of his former self for the past three seasons magically turn back to the LSU-Orlando Shaq? Doubtful

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Pau Gasol doesn't think so.

11. gottawrite

gottawrite Member

Hey, it was one game and there's no telling who will be healthy when the playoffs start. That said, Shaq does not make the Suns better defensively. He's an open invitation to run the pick-and-roll. And he doesn't frighten people out of the lane like he used to.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sounds like his debut was a little better than Jason Kidd's.

Draft saved Draft deleted