1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shame On You Peter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Our pal Peter King is always good for a few laughs on his annual Tampa / Spring traing trip.

He had his chance to ask Jason Giambi about the ongoing steroids story and instead they talk about dogs.

Enjoyable/Aggravating Travel Note of the Week I
    Flew to Florida the other day to do my annual Sports Illustrated baseball preview reporting. On the west coast of Florida, the magazine rents a condo on Tampa Bay for a month each spring to house its writers. You've seen the type -- extended-stay condos, transient business folks and people between homes, with a few residents mixed in. On Saturday afternoon, a rainy, dreary one, I pulled into the parking space in front of the SI unit and finished a free-agency phone call. (The frenzy does not pause for spring training. It pauses, in fact, for nothing.) Just before I hung up, a man came out of the unit adjacent to ours to walk his dog. I introduced myself and told him I admired the beautiful, yet tail-less dog. "Australian shepherd,'' he said. "Great dog.''

"What's his name?'' I asked, rubbing the dog's head.

"Slugger,'' he said.

With that, Slugger went off to sniff the rain-soaked bushes, and I told my neighbor to have a good day. Nice fellow.

Jason Giambi.

Trying to picture PK introducing himself - jumps out of his Taurus with grande mocha chino and bag of yogurt prezels

Jason Jason- I am peter king of Sports Illustrated/ HBO/ NBC sports

2. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Sigh ... Jesus, Peter. We really don't need to hear about everything.

3. his readers love this stuff

deal with it

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for stopping by peter.

5. How much do you want to bet that King asked Giambi to autograph some stuff while he was staying there?

6. you're better than that crap

7. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

His readers love the insight and information he offers up about the NFL on a consistent basis. I'm not so sure his readers love the fact that they now know Jason Giambi's "beautiful, yet tail-less dog" is an Australian shepherd.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

lol. what can i say to that?

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

At least he didn't dupe a kid out of a Tejada foul ball so he could keep it himself. I mean, he could have kicked Giambi's dog or something.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I heard that MMQB is by far the most popular web item on SI.com...

Then again, according to ESPN, Stuart Scott is one of the most popular SportsCenter anchors...

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

POSTCARD FROM TAMPA

So I'm in my palatial condo and feeling pretty rundown. It's been a long day of talking on the phone, sunning myself and hitting refresh on the laptop as I get the up-to-the-second updates on how my Starbucks stock is doing. Plus my good next door neighbor buddy Jason is banging the ever holy hell out of some girl named Mary Beth.

A few seconds after the bed stops squeaking, the doorbell rings. It's Jason, who asks me what's wrong. I tell him I'm tired and just not able to write as well as I used to. He notices the mild eczema on my hand and says he has something that can help both my eczema and my work performance. It's a balm that I rub all over my body. I figure the pestules popping up on my back is just a reaction to the sunscreen.

Jason was right. I banged out a 55,000-word MMQB about my dead dog in like 15 minutes. Then we went to the park to watch a Little League game. A home run ball came our way and I outraced Jason and some kid in a wheelchair to it. The kid had one of those computerized keyboards that vocalizes his thoughts.

"Can I please have that?" the kid typed.

I shook my head.

"Please I am dying and my Make A Wish was to be buried with the baseball my legless brother hit for a home run."

"Kid, no," I said. "You should have raced here faster. I'm sure your legless brother will hit another homer."

"He died rounding second," the kid said. "You have broken my heart."

"Whatever," I said and smashed his computer. "You don't always die from tobacco. Sometimes you just lose a lung."

I was looking for Jason but he was already gone. Heard something about Mary Beth taking a golden shower. Kids.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Might as well close this thread. That's not getting topped. Nicely done.

Draft saved Draft deleted