1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shakeup in Nashville

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Sep 18, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Any ya'll in Nashville willing to comment?
    http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060918/NEWS01/60918008

Gotta love the titles Gannett is dishing out nowdays ..."Mark Silverman has been named Editor and VP/Content and Audience Development."
    The grapevine says that Mitchell, the guy who left, is a horse's ass. So be afraid Cherry Hill. Be very afraid. It also means Pulitzer-prize winning ME David Greene, gets passed over ... again.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hmmm, the same Mark Silverman who undistiguished himself with service atthe Detroit News?

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The one and the same, according to the article.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Mitchell may indeed be an ass and he may indeed have been a Yankee who didn't fit in down on Broadway (read: "he wasn't white). But I read more good reporting under his watch than I had in the 10 years previous to him.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

God, Mitchell took the pipe big time. From one of the top-of-the-line Gannett papers to one of the Joisey suburbans. Silverman is one of the fair-haired lifers on the Gannett victory tour of the top outposts. Green is one of a few lifers who gets passed over constantly there. And who is this Ellen Leifeld?

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

On a slightly different topic, did Nashville shake up their sports beats a little bit? Bryan Mullen hasn't been covering Vanderbilt this year...

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Folks I talked to there today were, as the English say, quite gobsmacked by the whole thing. I hope the Nashville Scene will get to the bottom of it.

8. HejiraHenry

The Scene does its thing:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/Columns/Garrigan/2006/09/21/The_em_Tennessean_em_Waltz/index.shtml

9. busuncle

busuncle Member

All I can say is, thank God I don't work at a Gannett shop and don't have to worry about corporate lackeys like this.

Yes, it's bad elsewhere, but not nearly as bad as at Gannett.

10. HejiraHenry

I think we've had a thread or two on this. If you think Gannett is the worst, then thank your lucky stars you haven't worked in the REALLY bad shops.

Draft saved Draft deleted