1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shakeup at the AJC?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Mar 31, 2007.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Anyone heard anything about this? A friend of mine who works there has heard rumblings of a "major shakeup" around April 11.

2. Another one?

3. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Why would there be a shakeup in the middle of the week? I'm not saying it isn't possible ... just odd timing.

4. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

From what I hear, April 11 is just the date by which the middle-management folk have to "re-apply" for their jobs. Not sure it qualifies as a "major shakeup." Unless the higher-ups are lying, there will be no lay-offs.

5. Is there even anyone left to layoff without completely gutting the place?

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

I can imagine few things more professionally humiliating than having to re-apply for my job.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Since word is they haven't laid anyone off, I guess there'd be plenty of people there.

Keep in mind, this is all what I'm getting from a friend who works there, so this isn't first-hand. But it's pretty close.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is this basically a forced pay cut? Or a way to demote some people from a bloated middle management roster?

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Wasn't there some sort of thread about this a month ago, about going to the 24-hour news cycle, limiting their coverage area and how that there technically wouldn't be a sports department anymore by mid-April?

As I posted on that thread, I know and like a lot of people that work at the AJC, but there is plenty of dead weight there that could easily be eliminated.

10. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

That sounds about right to me.

11. turnovers

turnovers Member

I'd love to re-apply for my job. Then maybe I wouldn't get it.

I kid, I kid.

12. Here's the deal: Top management claims it will be eliminating individual departments and instead having one boss for breaking news, one for enterprise, one for print production and one for online production. That's one big cheese for each area of the whole paper.

So there would be no "sports editor" per se.

What happens in reality is a whole 'nother story.

Draft saved Draft deleted