1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shake--up at Sun-Sentinel?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Don Drysdale, May 6, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Chicago Tribune changes SE recently. Hoppes leaves Orlando. Baltimore, more change. Now this.

Is this part of the Zell strategy, to redo sports sections? Is it the arrogance of his Clear Channel sycophants that any ol' schmoe can run a sports department (no offense to any particular folks here) so they can change things up whenever and however they want? Or is it the overall plan, showing up at the moment in sports?

2. derwood

derwood Active Member

Zell has a strategy?

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

In the context of the consistency of the previous 26 years, absolutely.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The sports editor had been in the job a little over a year.

5. bake1234

bake1234 Member

And Kathy's a good one.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

May 19

7. Simon_Cowbell

She is certainly a .... nice one.

8. Don Drysdale

Don Drysdale New Member

From what I hear and have seen first-hand, the Miami Herald and PB Post have been much more aggressive and better-edited in recent years than the Sun-Sentinel. But that pre-dates the sports editor who just was bumped.

9. VictoryGallop

VictoryGallop Member

If this is anything like the Balt. Sun shakeup, it will be a total Tribune ploy to bust the union.

In Baltimore, a ton of Guild positions were bought out, and they 'reorganized the newsroom for the digital age.' Translation: They reworded job titles to things like 'assistant editor of sports content,' and 'manager of digital synergy,' and other such crap, handed those management slots to people from the baltimoresun.com staffers, which, oh by the way, are not members of the Guild. Thus a ton of union people were booted and a ton of cheaper, non-Guild people were promoted. The Guild, I'm told, will fight it, but don't know how much muscle they have left ...

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If these cuts even resemble what happened in Baltimore, you have to wonder why they Tribune doesn't just fold its papers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want that to happen. You just look at what's happened at some of these places and wonder how anyone is expected to put out a product, online or print.

Sad... It was not long ago that I would have told anyone that if they could work for any chain, Tribune Co. would be the one.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Does the Guild have a presence in Lauderdale?

12. Simon_Cowbell

no

Draft saved Draft deleted