1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shake-Up At CBS' "The NFL Today": Marino & Sharpe Out, Tony Gonzalez In

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think it's going to be a very troublesome transition. In fact, my exact first thought when I initially saw this thread title was: he's a natural, articulate and good looking.

I guess what we'll have to wait to see is if he's willing to criticize.

2. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

i think when cbs brought shannon sharpe in they were hoping he would be to the NFL Today what Charles Barkley is to the TNT studio show. he pretty much served as a reminder of how rare and good barkley is.

if there was one person who they could bring into an NFL studio show who would be like barkley, i think it would be.....barkley.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He's a fine coach, but he's far from underrated. He is indifferent bordering on dismissive to a crucial part of the game. How can anyone have looked at last year's team, had two first round picks and determined that they should both go defense? Think of Billick & Belichek, each of whom had an expertise on one side of the ball, and then won big with teams dominated by the other side. Can you imagine a Rex Ryan coaching the 2007 Pats?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wasn't going to compare him to Belichick. I think a lot of people think he's a joke and he's actually a very good coach.

I'm not saying he's a top 5 or even top 10 coach, but he's good enough that if he got fired, he would be hired by another team very quickly. These days that doesn't happen too often. I'm not saying he'd have three teams fighting over him as was the case with Andy Reid last year, but he would have gotten another job this season, if he had wanted it.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm with Mizzou. Guy has made chicken salad out of chicken shit teams for four years now. He's had only one season under .500. Hell, he guided the jets to consecutive AFC Championship games with Mark Sanchez - Mark Sanchez - as his starting QB. That's nothing to sniff at.

Before last season began, I thought the Jets were on their way to a 4-12 type season. Instead, they finished .500 and contended for a playoff berth through much of the year.

6. Guy_Incognito

Both of those years, he barely made the playoffs (thanks colts). Until this year, he's been around a .500 coach every year. Sanchez was a promising QB until they ruined him. His first few years were no worse than Eli's.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

What could Rex Ryan talk about with credibility in a studio show?

Nurturing young quarterbacks? How to handle the media pressure?

A show with Rex Ryan and Tony Gonzalez would be entertaining and informative until one of them needs to talk about quarterback play or winning conference championship games.

For all of the guffawing that the FOX crew does (and it does get old), what do they all have in common? Championships.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Rex isn't half the coach or innovator his father was and Buddy reached his head coaching expiration date after all of seven seasons.
    He is a clown who works for a clown car of a franchise.

9. Guy_Incognito

Wrestlemania etiquette? Podiatry? Regrettable tattoos?

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Eh, barely made the playoffs and then won two road games each year to reach the conference championship. Again, that's nothing to sniff at, especially considering the rosters he's had to work with. As Mizzou noted, he would have found another job in about a minute if the Jets had fired him.

Rex has his shortcomings, no doubt, but he's also a coach who gotten more out of a crappy roster than some other coaches have gotten out of better rosters (I'm looking at you, Gary Kubiak).

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Idiotic as usual.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Just for the sake of argument let's say that Ryan is as good a defensive coach as Bellichik, or maybe even a little better. But I seee nothing in his offensive skill set that compares him to Bellechik. I know that Sanchez is not tath gifted but look at his handling of Tebow. I think that Tebow running an option offense is bettter than Sanchez running a pro passing offense. And I have seen nothing else in his tenure to demonstrate that Ryan is an effective offensive coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted