1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shake-Up At CBS' "The NFL Today": Marino & Sharpe Out, Tony Gonzalez In

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought Sharpe was one of the better elements to the show, but I also didn't have much trouble understanding him.

I'm apparently one of the few who watches CBS -- I'm a James Brown fan and I can't stand Bradshaw's schtick anymore. Boomer is good, and Cowher can be when he isn't talking about the Steelers. I have no idea if Gonzalez is going to be good or bad, which I suppose is a risk.

The good thing is there's one less person there. For now at least.

2. cortez

cortez Member

I wonder if Marino and Sharpe get to keep their flag pins

3. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Did not like Sharpe for the simple fact that I didn't like his delivery and for the simple fact that he insisted on saying "for the simple fact that" when he meant "because."

I don't think Marino offered anything special to the show either. Not opinionated enough for a spot like that.

And I agree with the point someone else made about pulling these guys straight off the field and into the studio or the booth. Not all of them are prepared for it. And I'm sure the networks takes steps to get them prepared, but I imagine it's not an easy transition.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

What I wish the release had said:

"Dan Marino has been replaced by a ficus."

Or Ken O'Brien.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You know who would make a great, hilarious couple? Denny Green and Herman Edwards. You'd get so many priceless presentations of "they are who they thought they were" and "they play to win"; it'd be like a '70's song, you're so into the presentation that you ignore the lyrics.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not all that impressed with either Edwards of Eric Mangini from the handful of times I've seen them. Steve Mariucci was better and Brian Billick was much better, although I like Billick as a game analyst.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As little as Marino added, I prefer blandness than manufactured outrageousness for the sake of "buzz." And when you think of it, Gonzalez is the perfect replacement, a Hall of Fame-bound tight end without a ring.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Do you think Rex Ryan is a bad coach?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ryan is underrated as a coach.

The Jets were very smart to keep him. If they had fired him, he would have gotten a job in about a week.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but I don't think any of us have mentioned Gonzalez is a pretty photogenic individual. It's TV and maybe CBS has some kind of hare-brained idea Tony will draw younger demos and more ladies.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the more articulate players in the league.

Then again, so was Darren Sharper... :D

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Well he did go to William and Mary

Draft saved Draft deleted