1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shake-Up At CBS' "The NFL Today": Marino & Sharpe Out, Tony Gonzalez In

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Feb 18, 2014.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Did not see this on the board. Hoping no D-B here.

Shannon Sharpe and Dan Marino will be watching "The NFL Today" next season, according to report on shakeup at CBS.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shannon-sharpe-dan-marino-tony-gonzalez-major-cbs-173946358--nfl.html

Sorry Marino is going. Don't really have a viewpoint on Sharpe. Wonder what other SJers think. It has been quite a while since there was a change in this show

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They'll be sorry when Gonzalez gets snapped up by Belichick to go to the Pats after Gronkowski gets hurt again in preseason.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That'll make the show 40 percent less unwatchable.

I think I went the entire 2013 season watching them for less than 60 seconds total.

4. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Dan Marino has Nutrisystem to fall back on.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Interesting that they wanted Rex Ryan. We were told by exmediahack that Ryan could not get a studio gig because he hasn't won a ring as a head coach.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sharpe will be missed. Marino will not.

Gonzalez will be good, but I'm a little surprised at the move.

7. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, if Ryan decides to do TV, there will be a bidding war for his services.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The words "CBS" and "aggressive" aren't typically in the same sentence. But it went all-out for the Thursday Night package. Was reading a piece last night of how it didn't necessarily offer the most money, but just that it was aggressive from the get-go. Now shaking up it pregame show, which needed to be done a long time ago Change typically comes slowly and methodically at the Tiffany. The past couple of weeks has been anything but that.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

My only problem with Sharpe is his articulation. Maybe he just needs to slow his delivery.

But like LTL, I didn't give the show much of a look this past season.

10. Mizzougrad96

I rarely watched CBS' pregame show. Marino has always been somewhere between bland and awful. Sharpe's articulation is bad, but he's at least interesting and will speak his mind. He will not be out of work long...

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

NFL starts for me at 10:00 am pacific on Sundays, not a second before. They could hire Shannon Tweed, and I'm not watching.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

That's what, at times, was frustrating for me because the man is intelligent and, you're right, he will stake a take.

Draft saved Draft deleted