1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shafer: Buyouts R good, old folks gotta go

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with Mr. Shafer. His writing has a rancid boomer tang.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Shafer's just reminded me just how many of his columns irritate me.

Thanks, Jack.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Your day will come, cocksmoker.

Go eat a fucking bullet.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why Jack Shafer's opinion matters, or seems to matter, so much.

He always weighs in on newspapers from his lofty Slate perch he apparently believes is impervious to any problem. He's been around for awhile. Maybe it's time for him to be cut loose for some younger Internet star.

Fuck him. As Starman said, his day will come.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This business offers precious few reasons to stay in it long-term anyway (assuming you're already in it short-term): Hardly any real promotions (it's the structure's fault as much as yours that a reporter or line editor might be pulling the same duty 20 years on). Cutbacks in travel, space and time allowed to actually develop stories or do designs. Lousy raises or none at all.

Now this jackass encourages pushing out veteran people to make room for cheaper youth (shame on those oldsters for accepting cost-of-living raises).

Did someone euthanize the previous generation of old-timers so that the boomers had it easy in moving along their career paths? Don't think so. They earned their chances or waited their turns. That's not good enough for Shafer.

So this is like the mistress who steals the husband and becomes the wife. She's just setting herself up for when it's her turn to get cheated on and jilted. What could possibly make the journalists in their 20s and 30s think that they'll be valued and employed in their 40s and 50s if this is how their bosses and their companies treat the "old" folks now? They might have a warped sense of time and mortality, the youngsters, but they surely can add 2 + 2.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's the kind of nonsensical bullshit that spews from jack Lessenberry.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A legend in his own mind. Tremendously important and influential, and he will tell you so any old day -- when he can take time out from his awesome positions as staff know-it-all at a nickel-and-dime journalism school, and screeching-hyena columnist for a washed-up-hippie alt-weekly. ::) ::)

8. Mediator

Mediator Member

And what's with making sure the president has to be at least 35? There have got to be some promising 22-year-olds with some flashy new ideas about how to run the country! Just think if a much younger Bush I could've blogged about throwing up on the Japanese prime minister...

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If they're willing to take the job for $35,000 a year, count me in.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Do not forget the Toledo Blade, where he landed after being jettisoned from the O&E -- a place where he ripped the writing staff for not working hard during the annual editorial luncheon, followed by being pinned up against his car with a forearm to his chest by the general manager, who told him not to ever rip the staff like that again.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'd pay to see something like that.

(The forearm work -- not the bullshit "work harder" thing.)

12. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Sounds like a GM I'd want covering my back ... too few of those in this business nowadays ...

Draft saved Draft deleted