1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shady. Tipping. Badly.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Some progressive organizations that deal with the public are providing
    QR codes on receipts or on display. You can photograph with your phone
    and it brings you to company site where you can write a compliment. Apparently
    than their manager is notified and those up the line. Some programs are even tied
    to points like a frequent flyer. Every time someone gets a customer compliment they
    receive points. No word on if they are deducted for a complaint.

I've done it a few times. Most recently on rental car shuttle bus from Sky Harbor
    to car rental lot. The driver was just so pleasant and funny that he made my day.

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I'm boiling just reading that, I can't imagine how angry you were.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Well of course...your reward is in heaven.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This times 100.

I'm fortunate in that our children are well very behaved (I can think of one blowup in 15 years of parenting) but I want them to go out and eat in a restaurant to learn manners, treating servers respectfully, how to tip and the other social elements that go into a dining experience.

One thing I've made sure to do, when we stay in hotels, is to leave at least five bucks for the person who cleans the room. Our daughter also colors a sheet as a thank you note for the "maid" before we depart. Our kids may never have to work these jobs (I consider cleaning a hotel probably one of the worst jobs in the free world) but I want them to appreciate the people who do this work.

Also, when I do receive good to exceptional service (especially in a restaurant or hotel), I almost always seek out a manager to praise whomever helped. Perhaps it's a bit of karma on one end but also important that children see this.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Does anybody believe for a split second that he got "disrespectful service"

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

All i can say is that I've heard it from others about that place.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I mean, I wasn't there obviously, but one would assume a guy like McCoy would go in there and just get his ass kissed.

I have family in the Philly area and they've told me a story about one of the Phillies players going to one of the two main cheesesteak places (Don't remember if it was Pat's or Geno's, probably Pat's) and one of the employees saying, "I DON'T GIVE A FUCK WHO YOU ARE! GET IN LINE!"

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

$5 for the stay? that's one tip I'm kinf of uncertain about. usually if i'm staying 5-7 nights i'll leave 10. less than that $5.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Q
    I don't get this part. Colors a hotel sheet with crayons?

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

A regular 8.5x11 sheet as she likes to draw elaborate pictures on road trips. Usually I'll leave $5 a night for someone to clean the room. (I'm so pathetically cheap in other facets like eating out or hotel reservations but I believe tipping well is important.)

Daughter leaves a little colorful drawing for whomever cleans our room. I know they'll probably just throw it away but, along with the $5, an actual thank you note from a child for doing a rather nasty job. If that can be the bright spot amid the gross stretch of rooms.. that can be a good thing.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Ah. Sheet of paper. I thought you meant a bed sheet.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That would be hilarious. "Look what my kid made for you!!!" as the maid tries to determine how much they will deduct from her paycheck for a Crayola'ed fitted sheet.

Draft saved Draft deleted