1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shady. Tipping. Badly.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 10, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

ex-hack wrote about the anchor being under extra scrutiny for tipping and him feeling compelled to tip otherwise being ridiculed.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Ah OK, I got caught up on the last line about McCoy should have tipped the 15 per cent and been done with it.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I always get pissed when people say, "Oh, 18-20 percent is the new norm."

Since fucking when?

I probably usually tip close to that because I usually go 15 percent and then round up to the nearest dollar, but the notion that we're now expected to go 18-20 percent is absurd.

If you tip anything over 10 percent and someone tries to shame you over it, fuck that person.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm always happy to leave 20% but despise restaurants that use receipts
    that do not break out the tax.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Not a celebrity in my case but I have a rather visible job. Of course, it's the trade-off and I'm certainly not complaining. I do think, for a pro athlete (a legitimate celebrity), they have to be aware that, even in a restaurant, you never know who will "out" you.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

What pisses me off are the places like subway, or other fast food joints where you stand in line and they make it in front of you, expect tips. Screw that if I'm eating off a tray and bussing my own table. Unless you are going to bring me my food, offer me refills on my drinks and take my plate away -- you know, actually serve me -- then no, I am not tipping. Will generally tip a minimum of 18 per cent at a sit down restaurant as long as the service is somewhat reasonable. Rarely do I tip less than 15 per cent.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

A couple of nights ago, I went to Carrabba's. The server was engaging, helpful and generally heightened the dining experience.

We left a 25% tip.

If the opposite had been true, nobody's going to tell me I should leave a 15% tip.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm with you.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

We were at Chili's a couple weeks ago and my youngest was whining about how starving he was and the waitress, before we had said a word to her, had veggies and ranch in front of both of my kids. It was one of those "Kids eat free" deals. She was awesome, fast and also had crayons and stuff to keep my kids busy. All those places have that stuff, but she brought it out without being asked and when my youngest wasn't drinking his lemonade, without anyone saying anything, she asked him if there was a different drink she could bring him and brought him some chocolate milk. Taking into consideration the free kids means, we tipped her $8 on a $25 tab.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Good for her and for you. Keep the karma going.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I always feel bad bringing young kids out to eat, so I avoid it for the reasons above. Once ours started to walk, we haven't taken him out to eat since.
    Personal preference, mind you. I don't care if others do...I just know from talking to friends that have waited tables that people with kids usually aren't worth the effort.
    Looks like you got a good server there and it's good you rewarded the effort.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My in-laws were visiting a couple months back and my FIL was generous enough to treat us to dinner a couple times, but he left really small tips, probably less that 10 percent. I think his idea of tipping is $1 per patron, rounded up to the next dollar.

I thought the service was fine, so the first time after we exited the restaurant, I told him I had to use the restroom, went back in and handed another few bucks to our server. The second time I slid some cash to my son that he dropped on the table as the adults were walking away.

Draft saved Draft deleted