1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shady. Tipping. Badly.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 10, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hey, it's been a couple of months. Let's start it again.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2192500-restaurants-attempt-to-call-out-lesean-mccoy-for-bad-tip-backfires

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Shady is so geared to the hurry up that perhaps he did not think that
    the waiter did not execute fast enough

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Don't want to get stiffed by a NFL starting RB? Don't be a waiter.
    I'm seriously getting sick of people using the Internet to be a "victim" and try to shame others. It's pathetic.
    I love that people are piling it on the establishment for doing this.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I can think of two times in the last decade where I didn't leave a normal (15 percent or more) tip.

One time I wrote "Bad service" on the tip line. The other time I wrote "rude waitress" in the tip line. Both circumstances were beyond extreme.

5. jr/shotglass

I've got to say, I'm disappointed. I thought by now, the ex-servers in our midst would be climbing all over this.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

There was a story recently about Warren Sapp doing this.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I said when this was brought up on the football thread - I've been to PYT a few times and the service has been consistently bad. I still gave 15% because that's my low end unless the service is really heinous, but I can definitely see how service would be bad enough there to warrant a small tip.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Ray Rice tipped my daughter $50 on a $125 check lat year. Says he was very nice and respectful

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why not shame them? You go out in public, don't be afraid of the scrutiny. You have the desire to share in the establishment's offerings, you get judged on how you act.

The key question is "what is your expectation of privacy" when you enter a public dining establishment? Hint: very low.

As a former server, its a wonderful opportunity to learn how to get along with varying people (my memorable exps., Jane Fonda, Mark Eaton and Robert Reed). Getting stiffed should not be an option unless you've exhausted all other avenues.

No, this is not Buscemi in Reservoir Dogs, you do not get to say a tip is "extra" because the norm is to tip, its understood when you walk in. You don't like it? Go find a place with a walk up ordering station and pick up your own food.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

A record of "shaming" one's customers is the quickest way to ensure you wouldn't get a dime in tips from me.

11. jr/shotglass

If you tip poorly for good service, you'll probably get what you deserve.

And if you tip well for terrible service, you'll probably get what you deserve.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Is tipping an American thing? I ask because of the four countries I've lived in, Americans are the only ones who tip. Even in countries where they're told tips aren't expected, they still do it, and now travel industry people expect it from Americans and people whom they think are Americans.

As recently as four days ago, I, as an American on a mini-cruise, got blamed for increasing people's expectations of tips from white people. (In Vietnam, from a New Zealander.) The tip buckets were plunked out in full site and the crew, which had gone missing, suddenly reappeared bearing huge smiles.

I know to some degree it's done in other countries, but it seems to be more demanded from Americans. Is that because we started it? I've no idea, but the more I travel, the more it does seem to be an American thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted