1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SFC: Byrd ordered HGH

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by farmerjerome, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

In Byrd's case, the pituitary gland can be removed in its entirety. It's a messy procedure, going through the back of the throat, but it is practicable. The thing is, you're on cortisone injections for life.

I don't know what to make of this story, but I think it's fishy that Byrd has a book coming out on the heels of this.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

And if he droppedthem right away he'd still have some lingering effects, including drug testing results.

3. dmc

dmc Guest

4. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Olney on this during today's ESPN chat:

"I think he's a good guy. And I want to hear a much more extensive (read: full) explanation. So far, what he's offered has been far less than that. He's a Major League Baseball player with access to the best medical minds in the world, and he allegedly gets a prescription from a dentist he apparently didn't really know and gets 1,000 vials of HGH, apparently without a lot of supervision (at least that's what he's indicated so far). He says MLB knew all about his case, and MLB execs say flatly, on the record, that this is not true. He won't answer questions about whether he's still using HGH. He declines to answer questions from the SF Chronicle, but then tells two reporters he was recently diagnosed with a tumor -- which really doesn't represent an explanation for why he was receiving HGH from a rejuvenation clinic from 2002-2005. Hopefully, he'll address all that."

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/sports/baseball/22roberts.html?_r=1&n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/R/Roberts,%20Selena&oref=slogin

I apologize if this has been brought up. I haven't seen this one linked on the board, but I wasn't on much yesterday. Selena Roberts basically questions the integrity of the Mitchell investigation because Sen. Mitchell is a director of the Red Sox and a big fan of the team.

I guess that and the timing of the leak about Byrd has the conspiracy theorists in Cleveland going.

Thoughts?

Draft saved Draft deleted