1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SFC: Byrd ordered HGH

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by farmerjerome, Oct 21, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Right. But I don't understand your point.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Buck, he stopped taking the drugs because he was called out in the press and his bat speed slowed. Thus, a drop in batting average and HRs.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I really find it hard to believe that he suddenly stopped taking drugs immediately after that story broke, and his numbers suddenly dropped to Mendoza territory because he stopped taking drugs. That's quite a leap in logic there, let alone evidence.

4. Standards of proof are supposed to be important in our business.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think it is fun to throw brickbats at people who haven't broken any rules, who haven't violated any laws. Who needs proof? Just point and shout! It worked well during the Salem Witch Trials, no?

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Nah. It was the one where Britney, Lindsey and Paris thought it would be good times to show their equator to the free world.

Salem Witch Trials. McCarthyism. Who needs proof, anymore? Just point and shout.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is that I wish sports news came from the field more and not from chemistry labs.

Now sports are filled with doubt and suspicion.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Whoawhoawhoa, do you forget about the andro deal?

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yeah. During McGwire's run, the talks of steroids were swirling.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Not swirling, but it was out there.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Or maybe a known headcase had a couple of rough weeks after controversial news came out about him. I consider that possibility more likely as a source of his struggles.

Ankiel may have been using and stopped when the story broke, but I doubt it hurt his performance that quickly.

12. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

...and another thread heads off into the woods.

At the risk of repeating myself, I agree with buckweave.

Meanwhile, Paul Byrd is an interesting individual. You may find his beliefs tiresome or the object of cynicism, but he didn't hide behind steak like Ryan Franklin (of course, steroids and HGH are different) or spend a long time twiddling his thumbs once the news came out. Byrd's a different sort of guy. I'd like to have a beer with him someday. Or is he on the orange juice?

Draft saved Draft deleted