1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SFC: Byrd ordered HGH

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by farmerjerome, Oct 21, 2007.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I didn't see a thread on this, so:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/10/21/MNN6SSC8F.DTL

Paul Byrd, the veteran pitcher who has helped the Cleveland Indians reach the brink of the World Series, bought nearly $25,000 worth of human growth hormone and syringes from a Florida anti-aging clinic that was targeted by law enforcement for illegally distributing performance-enhancing drugs, business records show.

Byrd made 13 purchases from the Palm Beach Rejuvenation Center between August 2002 and January 2005, according to the records. During those years, he pitched for the Kansas City Royals, the Atlanta Braves and the Los Angeles Angels.

Paying with a credit card, Byrd spent $24,850 to buy more than 1,000 vials of growth hormone, an injectable prescription drug with muscle-building properties, and hundreds of syringes.

The records reviewed by The Chronicle included Byrd's purchase and shipping orders, payment data and other information, including his birth date and Social Security number. The records were provided by a confidential news source, who said the orders were consistent with an athlete's personal use of growth hormone.

Seriously, did he buy it with his credit card?

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Ruh-roh.

This should end interestingly.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

MLB leaked this now so the Indians would be totally finished off! It's a damn conspiracy!

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

NOW so the Indians would implode? You've SEEN the past two games.

We're well past implosion.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

7. "The records were provided by a confidential news source, who said the orders were consistent with an athlete's personal use of growth hormone."

The crusade goes on.
    I'm enobled.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The drug would appear to have had limited effect on Byrd's physique, except for making him look about 20 years older than 36.

9. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Sounds like every team is going to have to deal with some allegations once Mitchell's investigation results are released later this year.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if Old Man Schill (who looked 50 on the mound last night) gets implicated, myself.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Ok seriously, am I the only one who thinks this is crazy? It's like every 2 weeks, another MLB'er is outted on steriods now. Now I know baseball has gone through a lot of things(Sox scandal, strike) and has come back strong, but this is just amazing to me. At what point do fans just say "What kind of sport am I watching over here?".
    It's getting to the point where I wouldn't even be surprised to see if A-Rod was doing this stuff.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

As a Yankees fan, this is getting pretty annoying after the whole Rogers thing last year. (ducking from irrelevant Giambi responses).

Draft saved Draft deleted