1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SF Giants beat writer blasts ESPN coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, May 12, 2010.

1. writingump

writingump Member

Cut the guy some slack -- he did have to deal with Barry Bonds for years.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Had Schulman waited for/solicited this reaction, he probably would have gotten a better blog post/column out of it.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

That's why he wrote the word "and".

The writer is dead on regarding ESPN and it needs to be said more.

4. Are you effing kidding me? Grow a set and learn to laugh at yourself a bit. Used to love this guy as a blue-collar catcher, now I just think he's a whiny, coddled baby.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Early 1970s. And usually the bloopers were of random goofy plays and players acting silly on purpose.

What ESPN did is embarrass a player for his natural ability or in this case, a lack of it, and tried a little too hard to create some comedic value out of a play that really just wasn't funny.

And FWIW, ESPN has already televised, or has announced they will televise three Yankee/Red Sox games in the first half of the schedule. In the second half, there are five NY/Bos games that are TBA in terms of time on the schedule for national TV implications, two on Sundays, two on Saturdays and one on Monday.

Assuming the second-half Saturday games are FOX games, that means ESPN is planning on televising a total of 6 of the 18 Yankees/Red Sox games, four on Sundays and two on Mondays. I'd highly doubt that ESPN is devoting such TV time to any other rivalry.

6. nate41

nate41 Member

His point, which I agree with, is this: There were far more noteworthy incidents in the game then my fat ass getting gunned out at home.

Now, is the mother thing a little over the top? Sure, but I understand his point.

I, along with my other friends, still poke fun of our (lack of) baseball abilties and none of us have made a dime playing. I'm sure a veteran player with a ring and millions in his pocket can handle some good natured ribbing. God knows there is far worse said about pro athletes.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Has he ever thought of maybe eating a salad, working out, shedding a few pounds and then maybe people wouldn't be mocking his blazing speed.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

And Jeff Kent.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Molina has had a baffling, irrational hypersensitivity on this subject since the day he arrived in the major leagues. When he was a young stud with the Angels, he froze out all of the media for a long time because of a throwaway line in an LA Times notebook regarding his speed. Makes you wonder if there was something from a scout telling him he wouldn't make it, or something else, that triggers it.

Not sure how it should affect Schulman's writing, but that's definitely known around the beat. It could be a case of a writer getting too close to a subject, a guy that he has come to respect, and losing some of the detachment. It happens now and then.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wide-load catcher as prima donna. Unbelievable.
    Stare at your periodic checks, take a few deep breaths, and giggle.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think Henry's post was so much about Molina's speed, but more an overall criticism about what SportsCenter has become. Like most information/news shows they figure they have to gussy up the content with lists, tidbits, mini-segments "Buy or Sell" "Cold, Hard Facts." In a lot of ways, SC has forgotten what made it good and what people liked about it. You got all of the game highlights. Not just the local squad. Now they've developed built-in narratives "Following Favre," "TigerWatch," etc.
    Like Dusty did in "Pure Country" -SC needs to shave the beard, lose the ponytail and walk away from the fog and lights and get back to just playing music.

12. If that was his point, he should have written it as you did. I'm not trying to discredit what Schulman's done as a beat writer for many years because of a single blog post, but this was homer-ish.

Draft saved Draft deleted