1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SF Chronicle Reporters ... time for jail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeff_Rake, Sep 21, 2006.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I'm in agreement with Jeff_Rake here. Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams should wear this like a badge of honor. Even if they never go to jail (and I hope not.)

I was listening to an interview with Lance Williams on the way into work and he said (mind you this isn't a direct quote) that when it came to giving up his sources, it wasn't a choice for him, that he just couldn't on the basis of professionalism and integrity. I yelled out loud in my car, "Damn right!"

2. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I wish someone would investigate this judge. I'd love to know every dime he's taken, party he's been to and friend he has and see it in the public forum.

3. It takes an enormous set of testicles to do what these two are doing. It's easy to say you'll never give up your sources, but to actually be faced with the situation and do it is honorable. Call me what you want, but I'm not sure if I could do it. My job doesn't come before the responsibility I have taking care of my wife and two boys. They are my world. Yeah, I know, I know, the typical reaction to this will be "you're teaching them to be a coward...blah, blah, blah." So be it. I couldn't stand to be away from them for 18 months. It would be a tough pill to swallow.

4. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

I'm sorry about the plug here, but for any college student that is as disturbed and pissed-off at this whole situation, please follow this link and help me out. Do what the group's statement says and write to your congressman and senator and tell them to help push a federal shield law for journalists.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2210527313

5. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

I am a little torn on this one. Being a journalist I understand you have to protect your sources and never give them up.

I think what gets lost in this is that a crime was committed. No matter how harmless you might think it is. A crime was committed when they received/accepted transcripts of confidential grand jury testimony.

I know in this case it involves the widely hated Barry Bonds and somewhat hated Jason Giambi, but what kind of impact might this have on future investigations of any kind? Don't you think witnesses will be more reluctant to cooperate with grand jury invstigations if their testimony will be leaked without repercussions.

These reporters didn't commit the crime. The crime was committed by whoever leaked the transcripts. But can't an argument be made that receiving the transcripts is akin to knowingly buying stolen property??

Just something to ponder.

Draft saved Draft deleted